Spring reverb recommendation

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:57 am

Sansui RA-500 and RA-700.
Can't dial in a 'wet-only' sound without modding the unit (and don't ask me how, I haven't bothered) and they're -10 on RCAs, but can be had cheap.
Nothin' quite like them on anemic piano.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:43 am

Paul Fury 161 wrote:Hi all.

Those pioneer sr-101's look cool! What are the connectors on the pioneer unit? I presume it is intended for some sort of line in/line out operation on an aux, or similar.

Paul
It has RCA i/o with 2 mono channels or 1 stereo channel..I belive its -10 in level, unbal..no level control..it was used to add reverb to home hi-fi systems(on a loop or between the amp/tuner and preamp for the main amp)..I heard from an old guy that these types of reverbs were often secretly taken out of their cases and used in pro studios back in the day because it would look amateurish and they were affraid of that hurting their business..it sounds very authentic its definitely a "that sound" experience using one..I really like it lots..

there is no switch outside anyway for changing operating voltage that I can see..

I got mine cheap it was and still is in less than prime condition ($30) I think..but I would pay 100-150$ for it if I wanted "that sound"..totally better than a plugin in every way..

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:49 am

ghost trance wrote:Thank you for the replies. I will search around the net for the older units.
I've always wanted an RE-201 but I think I will hold out for one of the new Fulltone tape echo units.
IMO the fulltone is great but does not replace the space echo..they are totally different varieties of "good"..the full tone might get you closer to the Elvis thing..but the space echo is grainy weird magic and it?s made by beautiful girls under controlled atmosphere conditions..you really can't beat that..