Rugged, Good Sounding Mic.....SM58 or Alternative.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Rugged, Good Sounding Mic.....SM58 or Alternative.

Post by Catoogie » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:52 am

I have a buddy who has clients tape themselves, he sends them a mini-disc and a mic, they send the stuff back and he does the production. It works out very well for him. In the past he was using a SM58, any other suggestions for this type of situation? Or should he just go with what he knows?

Thanks

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:31 am

I like the sound of your friend! Does he have a website? I am fascinated by correspondence recording. Does he have people record multitrack minidisc or what?

Anyway, maybe he needs a condenser mic.

cdbabel
gettin' sounds

Re: Rugged, Good Sounding Mic.....SM58 or Alternative.

Post by cdbabel » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:41 am

Catoogie wrote:I have a buddy who has clients tape themselves, he sends them a mini-disc and a mic, they send the stuff back and he does the production. It works out very well for him. In the past he was using a SM58, any other suggestions for this type of situation? Or should he just go with what he knows?

Thanks
With a good preamp, the SM58 makes a good, if quite, room mic.

If you want something cheaper, but with surprisingly good results, check out Nady's SP-5. Its about $8 and most say the sound is of the same quality.

Here's a comparison on the forum. http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... hlight=sp5

The only real problem is that the SP-5 has more handling noise.
-E Jeff Einowski
WikiRecording@cdbabel.com
Editor in Chief
www.cdbabel.com
www.wikirecording.org
Promoting Community in Music

8th_note
buyin' gear

Post by 8th_note » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:47 am

Another option is an Audio-Technica MB1K. I had one and ironically, I lent it out and never got it back. I preferred it to an SM58 for most applications. It should be more rugged than the Nady and sells for about $40.00.

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:55 am

Is the mic being mailed hither and yon? This is FASCINATING!

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Post by Catoogie » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:16 pm

He has a boutique advertising agency that specializes in radio. He has one of those aluminum tool/brief cases you get at Lowes and in it is a Minidisc, a mic, cable, tabletop stand and disc. He puts the case in a cardboard box and Fed Ex or UPS's it out to the client. The client reads and records the copy and then sends it back to him, he then produces the commercials. It works out great. He also buys the air time, schedules, writes the copy etc?.

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:10 pm

That's pretty cool. There are many interesting human endeavors that we never hear about! Thanks for the overview.

doc
pushin' record

Post by doc » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:07 pm

I'd agree that a condensor of some sort will probably be to his benefit, but if he wants something that's similar to a 58 but a bit nicer, I can't say enough nice things about the Sennheiser e835. Same price as a 58 but built better, sounds nicer, and looks classier too. I've been using them mainly for live sound at a club I work at, but they've actually gotten a little play in the studio too.

-Doc