I wanna throw my CD walkman out a window

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

gbhansen666
audio school graduate

I wanna throw my CD walkman out a window

Post by gbhansen666 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:18 pm

In my ghetto-equipment world, I often check mixes on my way to work (pedestrian style) using my CD walkman which has been skipping all to hell lately. I've been thinking about getting one of those new-fangled Ipod type devices, but I want to make sure I can load 44.1 khz 16 bit WAV files without any weird mp3 audio-compression crap. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:44 pm

iPod lets you load AIFF and WAV completely uncompressed. You simply drag that stuff into iTunes.

Jeff

vsr600
re-cappin' neve

Post by vsr600 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:04 pm

hmm I've had no luck with my ipod and aiff files... could be cause it's at 48k or 96k though? The ipod shows them but refuses to play them.

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:10 pm

hmm I've had no luck with my ipod and aiff files... could be cause it's at 48k or 96k though? The ipod shows them but refuses to play them.

I have loaded 44.1 aiff files and had no problems.

Don't use the white earbuds that came with the iPod. They are "wooly."
not to worry, just keep tracking....

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:45 pm

I like the Minidisc.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:50 am

iPod plays 16/44.1 just fine.

gbhansen666
audio school graduate

Post by gbhansen666 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:13 am

I recall reading something (did a quick search but couldn't find the thread) about it being a pain in the butt to get a vaguelly flat eq out of the ipods, as they're "tuned" for those obnoxious ear bud things...Is that true in any of your' experiences?

rydberg
pushin' record

Post by rydberg » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:31 am

gbhansen666 wrote:I recall reading something (did a quick search but couldn't find the thread) about it being a pain in the butt to get a vaguelly flat eq out of the ipods, as they're "tuned" for those obnoxious ear bud things...Is that true in any of your' experiences?

But you're referencing mixes - not mixing. Don't you want to hear mixes the way everyone else with an iPod will? I bet 90% of people with iPods don't get new earbuds.

There was a thread a while back about people using the Apple earbuds as a reference source in the studio, too.

P.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:19 am

Randy wrote:
Don't use the white earbuds that came with the iPod. They are "wooly."
Wait, hold on, lemme jump over to WikiRecording and find out what you mean by that. :wink:
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

gbhansen666
audio school graduate

Post by gbhansen666 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:52 am

Referencing the MP3/ipod scene would be an added bonus, however I'm looking to check my CD mixes without the CD skipping action I seem to be plagued by.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:12 pm

I have yet to acquire an ipod - too much diddling around for me -

I went to Target and got a $40 Panasonic CD walkman which also plays MP3 CDs. It never skips and there is no menu hell like one gets with the ipod. I also never had to allow itunes onto any of our computers (I think it's a clunky overengineered program anyway)

There are compromises no matter what device you choose. Anyway, 700 mb of 192 mp3 is plenty of music to keep me busy at any given time.

Are you coping with a Sony product? I've never met a Sony anything that lasted forever with regular use.

gbhansen666
audio school graduate

Post by gbhansen666 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:34 pm

Yeah, Sony :oops:

The Real MC
steve albini likes it

Post by The Real MC » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:25 pm

Go find an iRiver. They're DRM-free mp3 HD players that work off the USB buss. Very cool devices.

KFledman
ass engineer

those new sony walkman cd players are crap

Post by KFledman » Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:45 pm

i just replaced my previous sony potable cd player [from summer '98 til a few weeks ago when my toddler tore it apart--it had been fine up til then] with a new SONY CD Walkman and the thing is worthless. I plan on returning it monday and hopefully picking up maybe the aforementioned panasonic or something else.
this new POS by SONY has TINY little buttons that I couldn't see without going to a very bright light, i accidentally dropped it and the DISC fell out without my realizing it [slipped out while the machine apoperared to remain closed].
can't believe they designed such a crappy product--not that i am a big sony fan, but my previous sony cd player served me so well and this one was such a huge disappointment.....