buying my first mixer

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

gutsofgold
pushin' record

buying my first mixer

Post by gutsofgold » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:35 pm

ive been working with drum micing for some time now and ive had the chance (and money) to move up from just a two mic setup on drums. so i also need more preamps or just a nice mixer that has some preamps built in. i dont have much to spend (like $400 tops) and i really need more than two preamps on the mixer. im using a motu 828mkii with an sm57, akg 112, two rode nt-4's, and an sm58.

i guess my first question is, should i get a multi channel preamp like the octopre le or should i invest in a nice mixer?

any recommendations on a mixer?

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:40 pm

mixers are useful for lots and lots of things besides pres. if you dont have one, I'd lean that way instead of a rack full of pres.

Sorry, I can't recommend anything in particular. with 400 I'd be inclined to look for older and used then new and behringered.

Will

chrispnyc
audio school graduate

Post by chrispnyc » Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:54 pm

One thing to remember with a mixer is that although they are really useful, they are filled with hidden expenses...well, not hidden, but expenses that you are blind to when you stare at a mixer in a store and become enveloped by all the knobs, meters and what not.

I have spent more than the price of my mixer on cabling. Now I make my own. Although cheaper, its a little less time spent behind the desk.

just a thought.
http://www.myspace.com/chrisprang
G4 1.3
DP 4.61
Live 5.0.3
Soundcraft Spirit Studio LC 24
Access Virus
Akai S6000
various outboard whatnot
mad patience (and a whole mess of cables)

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:41 am

Based on your budget, I would say just pick up a mixer. It's good to have a mixer around. Otherwise, I would start picking up preamps when you can afford them. The preamps on a budget mixer won't be as nice as a dedicated preamp though.

I'm kind of in the same situation as you, now. I want to start micing my acoustic kit (been using my electric kit), with either 3 or 4 mics (2 OH, K, S). I only have one external pre, but a couple on my audio interface and a small mixer with a few. I'm going to be getting a couple ART Pro Channels (pre, comp, eq in one), mainly intended for voice/guitar work, but I'm gonna try them on drums too (for the OHs I'm thinking). I'm also about to buy a few more mics, including the AKG D112! I was thinking of using a 58 on the snare.