Drummers - Protorq Drumkeys

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Shields
audio school graduate

Drummers - Protorq Drumkeys

Post by Shields » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:42 pm

Anyone know any guidelines for what torque I should set for each drumhead, or should I just not be lazy and use my ears?

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:20 pm

this will be covered. ;)

vsr600
re-cappin' neve

Post by vsr600 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:31 am

Use your ears. It's not always the case that there's a linear relation between the torque of the tension rod and the tension of the head. Unless you have nylon washers under them that are pretty smooth, there is a certain amount of friction that causes the tension rod to "stick and slip." I.e. that you may think you have a certain torque on it but after you turn it a little, you notice you don't have as much.
Either way using your ears is better imho to get the general tuning down and then use the torque key for fine adjustments (but don't trust it 100%)...

ckeene
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ckeene » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:19 am

It's true that even torque of tension rods around the drum does not guarantee in-tuneness, but if you're drum has the washers and rods lubricated, the torque trick will get you close to where you want to be.

Personally, I torque by feel, and can usually get each rod within about 1/4 - 1/2 turn of its final tension, but I've been doing this for a really long time, and know my drums really well.

After that, I'll tap next to each lug, to get the same pitch at each lug, which brings the drum closer to in-tune. For toms, this is the point where I get the top and bottom heads in relative tune with each other. My general formula is to put the bottom head a fourth above the top skin, but this'll be different for everyone. Also, I let the drum sit at about whatever fundamental sounds the best, rather than trying to force real notes on them. (Again, just my preference)

At this point I'll set up the drum and whack it in the center, or just a little off center, and lug-by-lug, as the note is ringing, bring the rod down, then back up in pitch, kind of like tuning a guitar. You should be able to hear the drum sounding fuller and more resonant as you work your way around. Sometimes it requires a couple passes, and sometimes I'll f everything up and have to start over.

After that, I'll go back and make sure the bottom head is still sounding ok. I usually use pretty thin heads on the bottom, so if i hit it with a stick it's just a light tap.

ANYWAY, yeah I don't see that much need for those torque wrench gadgets.

-ck

theBaldfather
takin' a dinner break

Post by theBaldfather » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:04 am

Another quick trick I've found in 6 years of touring, is (especially when you have new heads) to take your thumb and press down about 2-3" inside each lug. The obviously looser sections will wrinkle more easily, and I've developed enough of a feel to now be able to get it pretty close even with sound checks raging around me. Of course, it is always good to be able to fine tune by pitch at the very end. Oh one more thing... Always tune up instead of down. If you have overshot your desired tension, back it down past and bring it back up again. In the long run, learn to trust your ears, because I've heard drums tuned by machines, and they've never quite got it, IMO.
@studioquotes "producer: turn the gain up just a tad" "guitarist: is that the same as volume?" "Producer: actually the last take was great!"