guitar head in control room?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ryangeller
ass engineer

guitar head in control room?

Post by ryangeller » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:53 pm

hey guys-

i'm going to be trackign guitars this next weekend or so and had some questions about interfacing:

1- if i wanted to have the head in the control room and the cab in an iso room, woiuld i be able to run speaker level through the tie lines which are normal line/ mic level lines? what would this do to frequency response?

2- if i had to run a long speaker cable out of the head through hallways to the iso room what would this do to my tone etc?

3- you see a lot of movies and pictures of the guitarist behind the console tracking in a chair and the head behind him in a rack or on a table. how are these studios interfacing and wiring everything?

thanks-- ryan

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:50 pm

It won't help you next weekend, but you may want to hold out for these:

http://www.radialeng.com/pr-radial-sgi.htm

I've seen many questions on how to do this, and obviously so has Radial.

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Al_Huero » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:14 pm

I've run 20-ft plus speaker cables (12-ga I think) without a noticeable degradation in tone.

ryangeller
ass engineer

Post by ryangeller » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:45 pm

is going though the installation wiring to get to the other room an option? ie:
amp head to wall via speakercable- through the walls via normal balanced cable- out of wall to cab via speaker cable.

why is this wrong?

any way of doing it other than soldering myself a 50 foot speaker cable?

is it even worth it?

--ryan

BradG
pushin' record

Post by BradG » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:06 pm

Make yourself the long speaker wire. Trust me, that's the way EVERYBODY does it. I've done it with long guitar cords too but if you think about the science of it... the speaker wire is way more the way to go.

llamaj
takin' a dinner break

Post by llamaj » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:47 pm

its wrong because that wire in the balanced cable is 22-26 gauge. it has more capacitance and resistance than speaker wire.
not a very big pipe.
You need to have 12-14 gauge wire to run spands of 25 ft or more without noticeable difference in tone.
Id shoot for 12 for 50ft. now thats a pipe

BradG
pushin' record

Post by BradG » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:30 pm

Yes, I did neglect to say that your speaker wire should be as massive as you can get. Twelve guage is great. I used to have an wonderful spool of ten guage clear, that I made a whole bunch of cables from.

ryangeller
ass engineer

Post by ryangeller » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:57 pm

BradG
pushin' record

Post by BradG » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:00 pm

ryangeller wrote:something like this?:

http://store.yahoo.com/quaindinc/10gaugclears.html
Very much except mine was Monster. That's a great price though.

ryangeller
ass engineer

Post by ryangeller » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:50 pm

so not to get onto a cable voodoo debate, but do you think it's worth spending all that extra $ on a name brand speaker cable if i'm going to be running long distances anyway?
---ryan

Doublehelix
takin' a dinner break

Post by Doublehelix » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:01 am

kayagum wrote:It won't help you next weekend, but you may want to hold out for these:

http://www.radialeng.com/pr-radial-sgi.htm

I've seen many questions on how to do this, and obviously so has Radial.
This "solution" won't allow the guitarist to be in the same room as the head however (as requested by the poster). With the head in the CR, it allows you to tweak the settings without having to be in the iso room.

Also, Little Labs makes a great little device called the "STD" to long guitar runs. This is similair to the Radial device you mention.
DH

"Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded."
-Yogi Berra

llamaj
takin' a dinner break

Post by llamaj » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:48 am

no bad voodoo intentions here but..
when i was looking at speaker cable the salesman at a famous electronics store was telling me all this great stuff about the monster spkr wire so i bought a spool took it home and did some tests
i was hesitant because this particular spool had no guage rating on it. "oh yeah" he said they dont do that anymore since their wire is different now. he said it had a special (foil or someting) tube that carried the bass signal saying "since bass travels slower than treble". what???
first of all, i thought that this only happens in air. second, how does bass know not to travel through the copper and only through this tube?
anyway i measured the cables capacitance and resistance against some 12 gauge i had. lets just say
i took the monster back and went to home depot for twice the amount of wire at 14 guage and a nice thick insulation for half the price.
i think monster has been taken people for a long time including myself at one point
they have good products but they charge too much.
has anyone ever heard of bass travelling through wire slower? maybe i missed something

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:01 am

He may have believed in what he was saying, but he was wrong. Electric signals travel at a constant rate depending on medium and temperature. It doesn't matter what frequency is being transmitted through the current. What we use to get sound out of the speaker is the fluctuation in the current, not the current itself.

[edit- according to the Wikipedia, electric current travels at close to the speed of light. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electricit ... ic_current ]
not to worry, just keep tracking....

BradG
pushin' record

Post by BradG » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:18 am

Yeah, Monster is totally overpriced. I've only bought their products when there was nothing comparable.

But really... the end all solution here is to get that spool of 50' ten-gauge and make yourself a "monster" of a cable. You will NOT notice any loss of signal, I promise.