What Did You Work On Today 3-1-06

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:19 pm

fixed a mistake in the film score i've been doing... and it's done, pending approval...

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:45 pm

well, today's the 2nd, but yesterday i sat around my girlfriend's till 5:30pm getting high, scanning some photos my friend wants to use for our new record cover, found out the second act who was going to go on tour with us dropped out, no biggie.

went to my theater at 6 with my hard drive in hand, ran a show from 7:30-9, then drove across town with my hard drive to track one song (and finally try 2 figure eights on a live guitarist/singer) and transfer some other files i'd done with this artist. two of us are collaboratively engineering her record.

but this coming sunday, i have a matinee at my theater from 12:30-3:30, cab ride to recording film dialog from 4-6, cab ride back to my theater by 6:30 for another show till 9, then a meeting with my band about the tour. monday morning, 10am at the other engineer's house to track and mix, followed by band practice! monday's my day off!

stinkpot
pushin' record

Post by stinkpot » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:35 pm

Got to work early.
Tagged, identified, rated, and GPS located 650 trees along I-294.
Came home, started mixing a song from my old band with said band's singer.
Drank a couple of beers.
Slept HARD.

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:33 pm

cgarges wrote:A friend of mine worked with...

Ah, never mind.

Hey Dave, did you actually get to work today?

CG

I did, it was fully awesome. some people just fucking have it and no matter how uncool their records become over the course of a career, when you have it like that you cant turn it off on stage. totally amazing... Dude played four songs and then jammed for a fucking hour. insane. The one song I thought he'd NEVER play he jammed for an hour. An HOUR. I think tonight I blew two lifetimes worth of "I hope they play XXXX tonight"...

I hung with his daughter for a second which was fucking bizarre, I remember when she was born. Im getting old.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:45 am

On the first, after my accompanying gig, I did a bit of what I thought was going to be a mix, then when I was about to go home for dinner, Dan from Platesonics called and said he'd be at the studio in a few minutes to deliver a plate reverb for evaluation and review. i wen home for dinner and when back to the studio to record group BVs and claps. Hung out a bit and was about to go home, but instead I plugged in the plate and checked it out a bit. (very interesting...) and then went home.

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:13 am

worked on some mixes of backing tracks for a session i recorded the previous week, put down a few of the takes onto a CD to give to the band. pedal steel + delay = awesome.

rydberg
pushin' record

Post by rydberg » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:41 am

Got to work by 930 and spent the entire day building 4 radio spots (ISDN VO/sfx/music). Backed it all up, home by 730. 20 minutes of couch time, hanging with the lady. Out the door at 8pm to cut guitar overdubs for my band's record at my own studio until midnight. Wrestled with the new Lexicon 300L for a little while after I couldn't play anymore. Home by 130am. Watched bad TV till 3am. Up again at 830am to do it all over again.

P.

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewAndImprov » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:07 pm

Spent all day on the first tracking lead vocals for a pop singer/songwriter project, one line at a time, comped a pretty perfect performance with no f@cking autotune in sight. Took 8 hours to get it right. Today, we did backing vox and realized that the singer made a grammatical error while tracking the lead vox. She used the wrong tense of one word in the chorus, twice total in the tune. Lengthy argument ensues about either re-tracking all the choruses, keeping it as is (my choice, rock 'n roll is not about grammatical correctness), or drag and drop editing the one correct verse to replace the incorrect ones. Eventually did that, client and producer were happy, I feel the take was better as is, but what do I know, I'm just the recording guy.

Then recorded many layers of backing vocals, then tossed out about half of them.

Have to mix two tunes from this project this weekend, then Tuesday I leave for a three week tour of Colorado/Utah/idaho, playing wierd jazz to stoner hippies. Yay!

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:23 pm

NewAndImprov wrote:Today, we did backing vox and realized that the singer made a grammatical error while tracking the lead vox. She used the wrong tense of one word in the chorus, twice total in the tune.
no big deal. just do an aux send into Wordperfect.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:33 am

Producing/engineering a band called "Beauty Pill."
Great band. Great people.
Starting with Soulive tomorrow.