Good mixer for mixing...NOT recording?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Good mixer for mixing...NOT recording?

Post by centurymantra » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:08 am

I'm considering the idea of picking up an analog mixer whose primary function would be in the mixing stage. As such, I'm not concerned about the pres in board so much as it's use for mixing, applying EQ, inserting compressors and effects and summing the mix.

Wondering if any folks have got some insights or opinions on a decent 16 or 24 channel board for this purpose that would run me less than $2,500. Used options are plenty OK as well.

Thanks in advance for any input!

The Real MC
steve albini likes it

Post by The Real MC » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:39 am

A&H GL-2200. Very flexible mixing board.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:44 am

I got a Tac Scorpion for this perpose last year and I'm very happy with it. Very flexible, good EQs, lots of routing options and very good sounding.

BradG
pushin' record

Post by BradG » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:40 am

Man, there was somebody on Craigslist, here in NYC that was having a helluva time trying to unload an awesome Speck mixer. He had a couple of expansion options on it and it was like 32 or 48 inputs, at least.

Problem was that all the channels were stereo.

I just did a search of Craigslist but the post is dead. Maybe somebody here knows them, if it's not sold. That would be perfect for you and it was cheap too.

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:48 am

BradG wrote:Man, there was somebody on Craigslist, here in NYC that was having a helluva time trying to unload an awesome Speck mixer. He had a couple of expansion options on it and it was like 32 or 48 inputs, at least.

Problem was that all the channels were stereo.

I just did a search of Craigslist but the post is dead. Maybe somebody here knows them, if it's not sold. That would be perfect for you and it was cheap too.
You know...I saw a listing for a Speck Mixer like that, but I think I saw it listed here. Don't recall that all the inputs were stereo, but it may be a different listing that I had run across. I'll have to poke around. I was looking at that Xtramix. Coupled with an EQ16, something like that could work well...