Recording vox for our 2nd album @ home -- recommendations?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cities
alignin' 24-trk

Recording vox for our 2nd album @ home -- recommendations?

Post by cities » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:33 am

Hi everyone,

So we're starting to record our second album, and are planning to do a lot of the overdubs at home using Pro Tools LE, especially things like vocals and percussion and other various and sundry. Most of the basic instrument tracks will be recorded first to 2" 24-track and then dumped to Pro Tools. I'd love some recommendations on a basic workable home set-up that will give us good results. Gear that we have:

Mics:

AT4047
SM57, SM58, Beta 58
Occasional access to a Gefell (I think it's a M940)

Pre-amps:
MBox 2 built-in
M-Audio Omni Studio built-in
Symetrix SX202
Occasional access to a REDD.47 ( http://www.redd47.com/REDD47Info.html )

Certainly the Symetrix is much nicer than the built in audio interface pre-amps (which we want to avoid), and I'm considering buying one of the EH 12AY7 pre-amps. Other than that I don't know. We don't have any idea what to do re: compressors -- from looking at older posts here it appears that there's a difference in opinion regarding whether to track with compression or not. The AT4047 is nice, but somehow just isn't working that well so far, even through the nice REDD.47 pre -- I don't know if that's because it needs a different pre-amp or if we just need a different mic. One vocal mic that we used at Tiny Telephone to good effect was a AT4060, but I think the engineer put it through a 1176 on the way in (and I don't even know what pre-amp) so it's hard to tell how much the mic made a difference vs. the nice outboard gear (that we can't afford!) that he used.

I know this is all abstract without some idea of what we sound like, so if you have the time and inclination you can listen to songs from our first record sound here:

http://www.theinvisiblecities.com/sounds/ (click the link labeled "Listen to songs from the record" -- tracks 7 and 8 give you some idea of Sadie's voice, and 5 and 9 give you some sense of mine). Those vocals were tracked in studios, and *not* at home with the gear listed above. The new songs will be kinda different, but then, aren't they always. :)

Things I'd like some help on are putting together a good signal chain that would work for our particular voices, if there's some critical piece of gear that we're missing, if it makes sense just to rent some really nice gear or if buying some moderately-priced gear is better, etc. etc. In other words, any help at all would be most appreciated! Thanks so much in advance.

cheers,
Han
Last edited by cities on Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:07 pm

the shure sm7 makes a pretty good vocal mic for a relatively low price.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:39 pm

Vox at home, I'd highly recommend the EH 12AY7. IMO you just can't beat that thing and it's so portable. Printing with or without compression is a matter of taste but I can't help running my EH 12AY7 through the pro vla when I track vocals lately. Even if I'm not really compressing; just adding color and a little tranparent limiting.

For vox with the EH I've found the AT 3035 to be really friendly and Scott Helmke's "Alice" mic has become another vocal fave of mine. For background vox I've been going to a MK012 w/omni capsule and CAD M37 (w/pad engaged)
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

cities
alignin' 24-trk

Post by cities » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:31 pm

KennyLusk wrote:Vox at home, I'd highly recommend the EH 12AY7. IMO you just can't beat that thing and it's so portable. Printing with or without compression is a matter of taste but I can't help running my EH 12AY7 through the pro vla when I track vocals lately. Even if I'm not really compressing; just adding color and a little tranparent limiting.
Thanks! I've read so many positive things about the 12AY7 here that I broke down and ordered one yesterday.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:00 pm

We did the exact same thing as you for our last record. We tracked all the big stuff at a "real" studio on the 2", dumped it into protools.. took it back my place for overdubs on my digi 001. I bought an API 3124+ with help from my bandmates and we rented a distressor from another local studio. We did vox, overdubs, reamping, keyboard overdubs, synths and samplers all at my place before going back and mixing it at the studio we tracked it in. Mics use, at4047 and sm58 for vox. and 421/re20 for bass overdubs and all the above for reamping key and bass di's, all through the api , distressor or ART VLA. We also hired an amazing engineer as well and I think that is what helped the most. :wink: But yeah, before the API my only outboard pre's were some symetrix 202's as well, which still get used just as much. Unfortunately i had to return the distressor... maybe someday i'll own one.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:41 pm

mic for vox mannnn!?!?!?!..its 100% imbrossible for anyone to answer this question in reality real world life..could be anything from cheapo to sexpensive..limited band width to full spectr-umm..its all about what you are doing there..and how you want them to sound..you definitely have enough stuff to be making good vocal recordings with right now..classics have been made with less..