a letter to all the ?low end? gear manufactures out there.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

pulse_divider
steve albini likes it

Post by pulse_divider » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:23 am

I thought Alesis already made a line of effects like this?
If you are complaining that good analog resonant filters and the like cost too much money, then buy the cheap digital imitations. Or buy the Electrix stuff, which does a lot of this, sounds good, and can be had for sub $100.
I personally have no problems paying $300 for something like the MOTM 440, which is the best analog filter I've ever heard and is worth every penny.
I'm guessing that I'm completely missing the point, though. I didn't read the entire thread as it's a bit too confrontational in tone.

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:38 pm

I can appreciate the orignal poster's point to a degree. I too like to get "low cost" great performing gear. But when vendors make crappy gear and then act as if its the next best thing to..........( you fill in the blank), this is what bend my toes back! Prime example, my sister has a young chlidren's choir at her church that needed some backing music tracks. She see's this piece from Alesis ( Vocal Zapper) ($99.00). Orders it, call me to hook it up and....... :ar15: ..on the Vocal Zapper..! @#$%^ ...! Biggest rip off since.... :evil: .Only thing it "zapped" was the music you ran through it! Needless to say, I personally sent this thing back to the store! Vocal Zapper my a$$!

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:19 pm

There're a few products that kinda match the description already. Most of them are from Alesis.

I got an AirFX awhile ago, that does some very similar things to the original description. No secondary input for ring-mod, and no patch-editing. But it does do all of the rest of that stuff.

Fortunately or un-, Alesis crippled it: no bypass, as I menioned no patch-editing, no wet/dry mix parameter (no parameters to speak of), and finally only stereo-RCA in/out.

But wave your hand in front of it and it'll mangle the LIVING SHIT out of whatever you're putting through it, in about 50 interesting ways (well 40 interesting ways and 10 redundant or useless ways).

On the other end of the ballpark, I gotta say the DSI Evolver does most of this stuff and more, and is only about $500 street, and its A/DD/A are awesome but can be made fukt in many interesting and useful ways.

But for ring-mod with external in, its the Moog RingMod pedal or nothing for me.

strangefruit
ass engineer

Post by strangefruit » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:40 am

10 fingers and a brain is all that matters...

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:48 am

haodama wrote:10 fingers and a brain is all that matters...
Uh-oh, here we go again with this debate ...

earl parameter
buyin' gear

Post by earl parameter » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:52 am

i haven't been around and as a result i have no idea what you mean.

?????

is this a " its not the gear | its the engineer " thing?