whats the story with those newer BLUE mics? Any reports?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

nestle
re-cappin' neve

whats the story with those newer BLUE mics? Any reports?

Post by nestle » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:50 pm

OK, some will hate me for opening up this old wound but I really am curious.
I Have a Baby bottle and a Mouse, both older models. I've been scoping out the Blue collection at guitar center and noticing the finish looks pretty different these days. I know the whole story about what happened. It's just that I was considering getting another baby bottle (or Mouse) for a pair and I thought I might try to get a used older one. I really like the 2 mics I have alot- especially the Mouse and wouldn't want another that doesn't match, judging by the strange finish that might be so.
Has anybody out there owned both new and old BLUE mics and can give us a report? It's been awhile since that shake up so I'd like to know before I plunk money down. I'm not saying that the new ones won't be great, I just don't want any surprises.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:37 pm

You might want to contact the company. They seem pretty accessible and would most likely tell you what's up. They might even be willing to get you a stereo pair with an exchange of the mic you have.

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:33 pm

drumsound wrote:You might want to contact the company. They seem pretty accessible and would most likely tell you what's up. They might even be willing to get you a stereo pair with an exchange of the mic you have.
Thats a great idea, and I would totally do that. But it really is a mouse in the hand is better than 2 blue birds in the bush. I dunno I like the ones I have soooo much I don't want to give up something that works well. I hate opening up this debate in a way, it's obnoxious and the scuttle butt has all been said... I'm looking for a pair now, more than likely for the baby bottle (I really like it's flat un hyped response). Another thing is the Baby bottle was a gift so it has sentimental value to me.
I should write Blue your right. Just wanted to know if anybody has been in a similar place with these mics.[/i]

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:04 pm

Don't know if it's true or not, but I've heard (over @ Gearslutz) that there's three different versions of the Blue Baby Bottle floating around now.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:03 am

I've heard that the first run of the Baby was very dark and they have been "re-voiced" because people didn't like the "darkness."

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:27 am

drumsound wrote:I've heard that the first run of the Baby was very dark and they have been "re-voiced" because people didn't like the "darkness."
I think I might have the eariler "dark" one. Thats why I'm liking it, it's very flat and doesn't flatter to much. It's kind of retro and maybe like a good older 414?
I have plenty of uber-brite mics, don't need another. The screws on the cap even look different then the present run I've noticed-

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:27 pm

The earlier Baby Bottles had a different construction going on with the grill if memory serves me correctly (referencing the GS thread) Some were pressed together, then screwed together or something. Anyway, Blue states that new versions of their mics are the same but I doubt it. I was having the same issue about their lollipop capsules and played it safe and bought a used one instead of new just to make sure they were the same. I would play it safe and buy a used Mouse and save some bucks as well.
I know enough to know that I don't know what I am doing.

Generals and Majors http://www.myspace.com/generalsandmajors