crazy pedal

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

steadybaker
audio school

crazy pedal

Post by steadybaker » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:06 am

i'm looking for a new pedal. something that will do things i've never heard. what's new out there?

earth tones
steve albini likes it

Post by earth tones » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:53 am

I wonder if anyone here has used the Digitech Space Station pedal. I have heard that this pedal can produce some unique effects. It catches a pretty penny on Ebay, so somebody must be hyping this up for some reason.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:12 pm

cetanorak wrote:I wonder if anyone here has used the Digitech Space Station pedal. I have heard that this pedal can produce some unique effects. It catches a pretty penny on Ebay, so somebody must be hyping this up for some reason.
I'm guessing it's because it's all over Radiohead's OK Computer

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:14 pm

I'd check out http://zvex.com - always crazy (good) stuff.

kdownes
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by kdownes » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:22 pm

http://www.maindragmusic.com/md.html

schumman phase lock loop. this is what i have my eyes on.

earth tones
steve albini likes it

Post by earth tones » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:25 pm

Hmm...I didn't know that the Space Station was used on OK Computer. I know that some crazy sounds came from the Mutronics Mutator. That would certainly explain the bidding frenzies on Ebay. Same with the Digitech WH-1. What a bonus for manufacturers, the way musicians are inadvertantly advertising their products. I guess that is how it works, though.

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:47 pm

The Whammy pedal is a favorite of Tom Morrell (of Rage Against the Machine). More $$$

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:20 pm

cetanorak wrote:I wonder if anyone here has used the Digitech Space Station pedal. I have heard that this pedal can produce some unique effects. It catches a pretty penny on Ebay, so somebody must be hyping this up for some reason.
It's a cool pedal, but in my mind not worth the $ they're fetching these days. Like the Akai bass synth pedal - I think I bought mine for $75, and now they're going for a few hundred. I don't get it, but whatever.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:41 pm

4ms Atoner is killer! The Metasonix stuff is pretty wild too.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:46 pm

I am all about crazy pedals. I am infatuated with manipulating my guitar sounds. So here is a list of stuff I like:

Line 6 Filter Modeler
Digitech Space Station
Digitech Whammy pedal
Electro Harmonix POG
Electro Harmonix Guitar synth
MXR Blue Box
Effector 13 Truely Beautiful Disaster
Death By Audio Total Sonic Annihilator
MidFi Electronics (anything by them)
Korg Kaos Pad (not really made for guitar band can be used with it)
Alesis Bitrman

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head. There are many boutique companies out there that make crazy pedals.

earth tones
steve albini likes it

Post by earth tones » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:59 pm

InvalidInk....what do you have to say about the Truly Beautiful Disaster. Devi Ever lives here in Austin,TX, and she makes these pedals. I came across her website by chance, and have been wondering what these things sound like.

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:50 pm

cetanorak wrote:InvalidInk....what do you have to say about the Truly Beautiful Disaster. Devi Ever lives here in Austin,TX, and she makes these pedals. I came across her website by chance, and have been wondering what these things sound like.
I'm not InvalidInk, but I do own a nice custom pink TBD, so I'll comment on it.

1. Plan on spending alot of time tweaking it to get sounds you like. It is NOT a pedal that you will be able to "tweak" during live shows, and it's not an "instant gratification" type pedal.

2. On it's own, it really isn't that bizarre (basically a fuzz pedal that gets one or two fuzz sounds). The wierdness begins when you put different fx into it's feedback loop.

3. I've had mine for about a year now, and have only used it for one part on one song (though it was a VERY cool part), and I don't think I could duplicate it live.

numberthirty
steve albini likes it

Post by numberthirty » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:39 pm

The Electro-Harmonix Poly-chorus will get you right into space cadet/totally usless territory. The Line six Filter modeler is another go-to pedal for that sort of thing. I don't have a Snarling Dogs Erogenus Moan but, I bet the way it's layed out(backwards swell with simulated pick attack all controlled by a wha type pedal) could be handy under the right circumstances.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:51 am

I like the PolyChorus, too.

Best effect I have ever had, though, is the Sherman Filterbank. It's not a pedal, but you could conceivably use it live. I just have one in my home studio. It's an all-purpose fuckupper, with two filters, distortion, LFO's, FM, AM, and other stuff that I don't know what the hell it's doing. I find an excuse to put it on every single song I record.