any idea on Quad Studios NYC rates?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

bniesz
takin' a dinner break

any idea on Quad Studios NYC rates?

Post by bniesz » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:30 pm

I don't want to waste their time emailing them about rates when it's just out of curiosity / relating to a conversation.

I'm wondering what the ballpark for a month lockout would be?
anyone know a rough estimate off hand?

knobtwirler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by knobtwirler » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:11 pm

Just call them. Emailing won't get you far. Studio business in NYC is so iffy right now, I'm sure would actually get a great rate on a month lockout because that is one room less they will have to worry about for a month. How much are you willing to spend? If you are worried about the number being too low, that's ok, they might have a hard time losing you if they know some other NYC studio in the same situation might accept your offer for a month and they would lose out.

bniesz
takin' a dinner break

Post by bniesz » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:26 pm

that's just the thing, i'm not looking to actually book time there.

the band i'm working with now did a few songs on their last record there. we were talking about this and that, but they didn't know what their rate was there, and now i'm curious.

but i feel bad about calling, just for cuiosity's sake. i imagine they've got better things to do - like talk to actual clients.

knobtwirler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by knobtwirler » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:10 pm

If you'd email them or just call without actually booking, you'd get their full-on rates, probably in the neighborhood of $1400-$2000 per day, depending on what room it was. They do have a cheap room that'll probably be $1000/day on the rate card.

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:39 pm

man, there's NO way to know what somoene is *actually* getting for a room in todays world. I know that before the hit factory closed a friend of mine was in there for weeks for less than what I would charge a bro at my own place and if I like your band, I'll give you the deal of the century. They were in there so cheap none of us could figure out how HVAC and electricity was even covered for small pile of dollar bills they were charging daily.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

knobtwirler
suffering 'studio suck'

Can everybody say money laundering?

Post by knobtwirler » Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:13 pm

The $Hit Factory didn't need to book the rooms at full rate to survive cause they operated at a financial loss every year. It was being funded by alternate income. Studios that actually have to make money to survive(like yours) are a different story.