Moisture!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:46 am

trodden wrote:
mingus2112 wrote:great idea in the studio. . .a big bucket of water. . .
better than moldy amps and corroding guitars.
you got me there!

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:54 am

mingus2112 wrote:
trodden wrote:
mingus2112 wrote:great idea in the studio. . .a big bucket of water. . .
better than moldy amps and corroding guitars.
you got me there!
cereal though, i used to live in Kansas and the basements there are freakin' humid as all fek.. Running a dehumidifier or an AC unit helps, you only have to worry about emptying the water/drip bucket once a day usually, if its running constantly. I guess it really depends on how much humidity there is in the air, and how big the bucket, but a drip bucket is not really a pain in the ass compared to the problems created humid conditions. Just make emptying it as a part of your daily routine like making coffee or smoking a bowl or feeding the cats/dogs.

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:01 pm

only problem with a dehumidifier, though, is that it blows out hot air. if ony they made a portable AC unit with an emptyable bucket! that would be kick ass. Or even with a drip valve like the dehumidifier (i can run a hose across the basement with no problem. It's the 4" wide hose that needs to go somewhere that would be a pain). hmmmm

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:06 pm

mingus2112 wrote:only problem with a dehumidifier, though, is that it blows out hot air. if ony they made a portable AC unit with an emptyable bucket! that would be kick ass. Or even with a drip valve like the dehumidifier (i can run a hose across the basement with no problem. It's the 4" wide hose that needs to go somewhere that would be a pain). hmmmm
what about MacGyvering window unit?

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:56 pm

yeah man...you just dump it out. you dont have to run the dehumidifier or whatever ALL the time...just when youre not in there. maybe do it once while you are there to see how much water youre going to generate and then when you want to use the space just remove all that. its on wheels, right?!
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:41 pm

kentothink wrote:yeah man...you just dump it out. you dont have to run the dehumidifier or whatever ALL the time...just when youre not in there. maybe do it once while you are there to see how much water youre going to generate and then when you want to use the space just remove all that. its on wheels, right?!
The dehumidifier is the one that heats up the room. whether i'm there or not it will still heat the room. i need an AIR CONDITIONER that i can hook up to a hose and run it to the other side of the basement or something!

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:34 pm

mingus2112 wrote:
kentothink wrote:yeah man...you just dump it out. you dont have to run the dehumidifier or whatever ALL the time...just when youre not in there. maybe do it once while you are there to see how much water youre going to generate and then when you want to use the space just remove all that. its on wheels, right?!
The dehumidifier is the one that heats up the room. whether i'm there or not it will still heat the room. i need an AIR CONDITIONER that i can hook up to a hose and run it to the other side of the basement or something!
what part of "window unit" and "McGyver" do you not freakin' understand?

treble king
gimme a little kick & snare

here's the deal

Post by treble king » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:44 am

You are not going to find something that is going to 'win' in this situation. I have a basement studio that has water running across it, seeping through the 1880 rock walls. It drains away (now, I had a new sewer put in, as it flooded with a foot plus last year), but the floor is still wet until may/june and whenever it rains hard for an hour.

You have to pick. A dehumidifier is cheaper. The AC unit would probably work better, as you could turn the cooling down as the weather gets colder. You could probably get some sorta blower or fan action going, which would be noisy, cheap, and not work as well as the other stuff.

I have a dehumidifier. Yes it heats the room, which sucks during the MN summer, especially for the drummer. We shut it off and have fans when we practice; as long as they're not pointing at a mic, the sound is reasonable. I have it drain out the floor drain. For the quiet 'real' recording, I just have to deal with being hot or...warm and moist. ugh.

There is no magic water absorbing surface that you could put between the wall and your guitars that I've found - they all get moldy. You just have to get some distance off the wall.

Considering I have to have all my gear on pallets and shelves, and last year I woke to find my drum set on a floating stage, and every year I have to work with my feet in a 1/4" of water, I'd say you have it pretty good.

You can have cheap, effective, convenient. Pick any two.
I'm in for two, and I can pay.

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:02 am

mingus2112 wrote:
right...but i guess that im saying that you can dump that out too...if you cant get the hose all the way over to the utility sink on the other side just run it to a bucket and dump it out
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Re: here's the deal

Post by kayagum » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:23 am

treble king wrote:
You can have cheap, effective, convenient. Pick any two.
Word. And Mingus2112 has already ruled out one.

Plus, read my sig.

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:24 am

agreed

i'm still for McGuyvering the window unit. That could be hot.