should i be upset about this?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

digital eagle audio
pushin' record

should i be upset about this?

Post by digital eagle audio » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:15 pm

a girl i found and convinced to let me record her at the studio. this is one of my first big (for me) gigs, it would have been at least 50 hours.
anyway, she just found out that her good friend happens to work at the studio, too.
so she's switching over.
and now my coworker is totally gonna get the gig even though i did all the fucking legwork.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:47 pm

upset?, maybe, dwell on it?, no. but a learning lesson as so it goes in the recording/music world. I remember the first time something similar happened to me... you'll get over it, there will be plenty more work to come!

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:51 pm

I'd be upset, but let it go.
Friendship outweighs other shit.
Could you work on the project together?
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:07 pm

Man, that's a tough situation and unfortunately, one that's out of your control. Are you friends with the guy she knows? Like wintershed asked, is it possible that you could work on it together or maybe tag-team it or something? Hopefully you could talk to this guy and explain the situaion and he'll try to help out. If not, like trodden said, there's not much point in getting worked-up over it. It's out of your hands.

Good luck!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

lharless
takin' a dinner break

Post by lharless » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:49 am

excellent advice. try not to let the project come between your co-worker and yourself. "things to come" are more important than the current project. look at it with the future in mind.

rydberg
pushin' record

Post by rydberg » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:00 am

Not to sound flippant or anything, but welcome to the music business. Shitty stuff like this happens all the time. Best thing to do is find someone even better to work with while your friend is tied up with the other gig. Ha! That'll show 'em! :wink:

P.

digital eagle audio
pushin' record

Post by digital eagle audio » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:06 am

actually, my coworker is also female. doesn't change things at all, but just thought i should clarify.
when my boss came to me about this, i did my best to pretend i wasn't pissed as shit. i'm not going to hold any grudges - i don't do that in general, and especially not where my career is concerned.
i think the part that bothers me is just that i put in so much legwork on this client - going to her shows, talking to my boss about getting her a better deal on hours, etc., and someone else is getting all of the benefits of that hard work.
if i were her (my coworker), i'd at least take me out for a beer or something to show appreciation for finding me a gig. so we'll see.
i can ask about tag-teaming, or assisting, but it would be such a weird situation now that i think it would be bad for the session if i were there.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:32 am

I'm sure your coworker will take all of your leg work in consideration. I'm sure it won't be taken for granted. I personally find that working with another engineer as a "team" makes sessions much more fun and less stressful. makes things happen at a quick pace allowing room for people to breathe and take their time. I could understand the possibility for awkwardness, but if everyone involved has acted in a professional manner, it should be a good time.

seaneldon
pushin' record

Post by seaneldon » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:47 am

take him out of the picture. a hit and run or a small club should do it.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:16 pm

Your girl karma has not been good, dude. Stay away from them.

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... highlight=

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:40 pm

kayagum wrote:Your girl karma has not been good, dude. Stay away from them.

ohh... so that is why he is pissed... he's "lonely"... hhehehe.

digital eagle audio
pushin' record

Post by digital eagle audio » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:43 pm

kayagum wrote:Your girl karma has not been good, dude. Stay away from them.

it would seem that way, wouldn't it?

lharless
takin' a dinner break

Post by lharless » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:59 am

chicks are way overrated.

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:41 am

All things considered, if your co-worker cultivated a client who suddenly found out you were at the studio and wanted you to do the session because you're old friends, how would you handle it? I know we all want to say we would be the "better men" who would share the gig and split the pay, but honestly, deep down inside, I think most people wouldn't want to.
Now as far as how the boss is involved, I'm sure his main concern would be whether the gig is happening or not, and he wouldn't want either of you fighting over it and potentially scaring away the client. But, he is also going to want to maintain a friendly and cooperative workplace and reward the employees who actually bring in the gigs. You might see how he feels about that and see if he might 'insist' on a 10% commission or 'finder's fee' split for you. If the payment is separated between studio and engineer then perhaps he would consider matching the fee so the girl doesn't feel like he is insisting on something he wouldn't do himself. Or maybe he could just insist that you be the assistant on the gig whether one is needed or not. Seems to me that a good employer would try deparately hard to maintain a sense of value as well as equity for all of his employees.

-Jeremy

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:55 pm

I'd be kind of pissed, but this stuff does happen. Building a solid reputation is more important than scrabbling over individual gigs.

That being said, I'd probably say something like this to my coworker: "yeah, you're doing the project? Have fun, and you owe me a bottle of wine (or whatever, but make it social instead of professional) to cover the advance stuff I did". Smile, make sure it's a social obligation that you're talking about. There's not really any way you could make it a professional "you owe me", but making a social does sort of put them in your debt while notifying them (they might not actually be aware) that you put some initial work into it.