acousticians

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Effigy Studios
audio school graduate

acousticians

Post by Effigy Studios » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:50 am

I have been researching information, conferencing and setting up meetings with acousticians for our studio. We are on our last steps of the most perfect sound achieved by man and machine... (I hope)
I have compiled a list of people I have talked with/will be talking with/hoping to talk with.
If anyone has any comments about working with these people I would greatly appreciate it. If you do not want to comment on the board, feel free to email me at info@effigystudios.com
Thanks you in advance for your help?

Doug Dorn Golden Acoustics (right now one of our top choices)
Steve Klein http://www.soundcontrolroom.com/
Bob Hodas http://www.bobhodas.com/
Russ Berger www.rbdg.com
Steve "Coco" Brandon
John Storyk www.wsdg.com
George Augspurger (not sure if he is avalible)
Francis Manzella http://www.fmdesign.com/
Carl Yanchar

Not enough information at this point, for the following? I am not sure if they are even acousticians etc. They are
currently being researched:
David Abbott
Troy Germano
Dave Bell
Whitemark Ltd.
Mr. Washburn
James "King James" Jowers
Dennis Janson
Peter Grueneisen
Peter Maurer
Ron Lagerlof
Vincent Van Haaff
Mark Genfan
Beno May
Jeff Cooper
Jack Piercy
Bob Alach
Bruce Maddocks
Clayt Hudson

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:16 am

From the few photos shown on your website there, it seems like the studio is pretty much up and running and quite finished.
Are you guys building out a new room or trying to touch-up or rework the old rooms?
I ask because obviously studio acoustics is much more a construction process than a later design process. Kind of the first step more than the last step, ya know?

Either way, I work in a Russ Berger designed studio and while I wasn't here when it was being built, I was the one who ran all the cabling, purchased and installed all the gear, and now I run the place. So I have a pretty intimate knowledge of how the whole place was put together, and I've met and talked with Russ and some of his team informally so I could better understand what is going on.
Like many top studio designers, he designs the space around a somewhat formulaic control room. They scale the size up to about as large as can fit in the given floor space and then fit the live rooms around that space. The aim is for an exceptionally well built control room with predictable and controlled sound tied to a very flexible live room that is mostly 'live', but that can be changed and moulded with placement and a few gobos, etc. to whatever sound is necessary for a particular project.
From what I've seen of other studio designers of that league, I'd expect a pretty similar philosophy.

-Jeremy

Effigy Studios
audio school graduate

Post by Effigy Studios » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:16 pm

[quote="Professor"]From the few photos shown on your website there, it seems like the studio is pretty much up and running and quite finished.
Are you guys building out a new room or trying to touch-up or rework the old rooms?
I ask because obviously studio acoustics is much more a construction process than a later design process. Kind of the first step more than the last step, ya know?

Either way, I work in a Russ Berger designed studio and while I wasn't here when it was being built, I was the one who ran all the cabling, purchased and installed all the gear, and now I run the place. So I have a pretty intimate knowledge of how the whole place was put together, and I've met and talked with Russ and some of his team informally so I could better understand what is going on.
Like many top studio designers, he designs the space around a somewhat formulaic control room. They scale the size up to about as large as can fit in the given floor space and then fit the live rooms around that space. The aim is for an exceptionally well built control room with predictable and controlled sound tied to a very flexible live room that is mostly 'live', but that can be changed and moulded with placement and a few gobos, etc. to whatever sound is necessary for a particular project.
From what I've seen of other studio designers of that league, I'd expect a pretty similar philosophy.

-Jeremy[/quote]

The Room was a Dave prince Design; he worked with the architects and Builders; whom all had incredible patience and a willingness to create the best possible rooms. As The studio has been open there are a handful of pockets. We have spoken with a few people that have recommended different treatments to fix the last few problems. Coloration, Boominess, some low end, over trapped etc. Nothing is major; that room is great, but to have it to the standards needed etc.
So I thought I would use this wonderful board to get some peoples feels? I am concerned about working with people who do not back there quality of work, are not communicating, or completing work in a timely fashion etc.
I am enjoying how much I have learned, and seeing what the future holds? It is really quite an adventure..

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:14 pm

I have worked in a number of rooms that have been "tweaked" by Steve Durr at www.durrellacoustics.com and I really like the consistent elements of the rooms. I worked in one of these rooms almost every day for two and a half years and learned A LOT working there.

I'm also very familar with a mastering room here in town that Russ Berger designed and it's a really excellent room. Very even-souding all around the room and it translates nicely. The studio owner was very happy with the work that Russ did for him and I can certainly say that as far as the end result is concerned, I'm not surprised.

I was also pretty knocked out by some of what Fran Manzella had to say in his TapeOp interview, so I'd love to work in a room he designed, just to see if it's as smart as he seems.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC