Hunting for a space, Seattle area

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

MechaGodzilla
gettin' sounds

Hunting for a space, Seattle area

Post by MechaGodzilla » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:34 pm

...So here's the scenario:
I work as an engineer at a couple studios around town, and try to freelance whenever I get the opportunity to. I've also started playing with a new band, and we're talking about doing some demo and / or album tracks. We practice in my basement, which periodically floods, has a 7 foot ceiling and a furnace in the middle of it (Sucksville)... Between the recording nerds in and related to the new band, we have enough gear to do some cool things, but no space.

So what I'm getting at here is that we're looking for a space to rent and build into a small studio with the intent of having a rehearsal space and a place to overdub / mix on the cheap. I plan to still cut basics at a nicer studio, but doing overdubs/edits/mixing there is too expensive, and too sporadic to wait for free time.

I haven't a clue as to where to look (Warehouse spaces, work lofts, crappy houses?), but it needs to be in Seattle and affordable when split between 4 people (like $600/mo. rent?).

I'm just starting to feel this out. Any leads / suggestions / advice / words of warning?

Go!

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:08 pm

Check out Craigslist (Seattle area of course) under Commercial/Office real estate. It seems like there are decent spaces available in the Georgetown and SoDo district. I would just make sure you're up front with the people about what you plan on doing in the space, that way they don't evict you 2 weeks after you move in. Good luck.