lost on ways to elevate my console..

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jmpizzoferrato
gettin' sounds

lost on ways to elevate my console..

Post by jmpizzoferrato » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:29 am

i have a 16 ch. tac scorpion. it's not huge but it's heavy. i assume your average hard plastic table probably won't hold the weight of this board. i was thinking about getting some extra thick plywood and some 4x4s to use as legs.

i have one thigh-high rack that's pretty sturdy. i was thinking about getting another and using those as legs.

does anyone out there have any creative ideas they'd like to share?

-jp

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:36 am

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s ... =stoughton

If you're really cheap, you can do the solid-core-door-over-sawhorses trick.

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:49 pm

Seems to me like $10k worth of console might deserve more than just 2x4s and plywood or sawhorses and an old door, but that's just me.

I think the equipment rack is a swell idea. Get a second one to match your first, go to Home Depot and have them cut a piece of plywood or even MDF so it is about the same depth as the board and as long as your two racks plus leg room in the middle. Then sand the corners a little, maybe even paint the edges (spray painting the first 6" in from the edge all the way around would suffice) to avoid splinters, and screw the new table top down onto the equipment racks.
You could certainly get more involved if you chose to, but it seems to me that would suffice.

-Jeremy

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:09 pm

for about 50 dollars in wood, wood screws, and brackets, you can make this desk-

www.lungcookierecords.com/randy/graphics/mixer_desk.pdf

I designed it to hold my 300 lb. Ramsa console. It does the trick without a wobble. I made a keyboard ledge by simply putting a board under the front legs of the console, hanging out in front.
not to worry, just keep tracking....

brian beattie
steve albini likes it

Post by brian beattie » Thu May 04, 2006 6:34 pm

I got the bad-assest formica topped home made work table at a yard sale down the street for $10. After about 1 hour of cleaning it up (it was apparently formerly used by a fossil fuel motor enthusiast), and then cutting a couple of inches off of the legs, I got the nicest mixer table I've ever had.
Junk stores. Yard sales. estate sales. The work tables set forlornly in the garage with piddly price tags whilst the blind masses rush to buy the macrame owls and vintage 70's jelly jar glassware.
brian

jmpizzoferrato
gettin' sounds

table

Post by jmpizzoferrato » Thu May 04, 2006 10:18 pm

hm.. two days till "saturday" aka tag sale day!