acoustic blankets

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

billiamwalker
pushin' record

acoustic blankets

Post by billiamwalker » Fri May 05, 2006 9:53 am

does anyone have an experience with those acoustic blankets that you hang in door ways? i can't seem to find in legable proof that these things work and my only problem areas with sound being too loud is through the door ways to outside (one room studio). i can't even find prices and stuff.

anyone have any other ideas on what i can hang in front of the door ways that will knock out about 20 decibles? (some company boasts about knocking out like 15-20 decibles or so with the blankets)

philbo
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: acoustic blankets

Post by philbo » Fri May 05, 2006 10:22 am

billiamwalker wrote:does anyone have an experience with those acoustic blankets that you hang in door ways? i can't seem to find in legable proof that these things work and my only problem areas with sound being too loud is through the door ways to outside (one room studio). i can't even find prices and stuff.

anyone have any other ideas on what i can hang in front of the door ways that will knock out about 20 decibles? (some company boasts about knocking out like 15-20 decibles or so with the blankets)
The numbers may no mean much unless they specify what frequency range they're talking about. It's pretty easy to get 20 dB of isolation at 10 KHz, and really damn tough at 30 Hz.

I doubt you'll get a 'broadband' 20 dB of isolation through a door unless there is a very good airtight seal around it and you add a LOT of mass to it, like 2 or 3 layers of drywall, then cover that with your absorber blanket. This is all assuming the walls around the door are of equal or better isolation quality than the door.
________
FERRARI 456
Last edited by philbo on Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

billiamwalker
pushin' record

Post by billiamwalker » Fri May 05, 2006 10:34 am

true. i guess i'm looking more at teh lower frequencies since those are the only ones that will really travel into the nieghborhoods.

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Fri May 05, 2006 1:37 pm

any advice for recording an acoustic blanket? what mics do you like on electric blankets?

:wink:

Ethan Winer
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Ethan Winer » Fri May 05, 2006 1:59 pm

Billiam,

> does anyone have an experience with those acoustic blankets that you hang in door ways? ... knock out about 20 decibles? <

There's no way any blanket will reduce leakage at low frequencies by even 1 dB let alone 20. Your only recourse is to install a solid core door, and it will work even better if you add a professional door seal that makes the seams air tight all the way around.

--Ethan

wyattt
gettin' sounds

Post by wyattt » Fri May 05, 2006 8:47 pm

I agree. The companies such as the ones on EBAY that sell various foams and blankets are misleading. At best a blanket may absorb some of the high end frequencies, but this may change the frequency response of your room to that which is not desired. typically it is low Hz frequencies that are able to pass through doors and walls. A blanket may help a little but not enough. Your best bet, if you are like me and can't afford a solid core door is to buy some sheetrock (cement backerboard) and attach it to the door followed by foam for the appropriate frequencies.

billiamwalker
pushin' record

Post by billiamwalker » Mon May 08, 2006 12:31 am

Ethan Winer wrote:Billiam,

> does anyone have an experience with those acoustic blankets that you hang in door ways? ... knock out about 20 decibles? <

There's no way any blanket will reduce leakage at low frequencies by even 1 dB let alone 20. Your only recourse is to install a solid core door, and it will work even better if you add a professional door seal that makes the seams air tight all the way around.

--Ethan
professional door seals? where can i find those?

Ethan Winer
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Ethan Winer » Mon May 08, 2006 8:54 am

> professional door seals? where can i find those? <

Lookie here:

www.zerointernational.com

--Ethan

fattyfabulous
audio school

Post by fattyfabulous » Tue May 23, 2006 2:13 pm

I don't know if this is any help or even relates to the subject, but I use blankets in my home studio's vocal booth and they work great for what I need them for. They get rid of a lot of echo to give my booth a very dry sound. They were advertised as acoustic blankets, but they're really just packing blankets and you can pick those up for really cheap from some packing supply stores. They're definitely not the thing for sound proofing though. To handle that you would need something else indeed... especially for bass. It's a monster. I'd recomend getting some blankets anyway because they're cheap, easy to move around and there's many uses I'm sure you could find for them. Hope this helps a little.

Fatty Fabulous