97%
No
3%

Total votes: 33

jjbohn
gimme a little kick & snare

Electronics/DIY Section?

Post by jjbohn » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:20 pm

I wish there would be some more technical articles. Something like build your own mic pre or microphone. Something like that. Anyone feel the same?

philbo
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by philbo » Mon May 15, 2006 10:25 am

I did vote yes, but still have to note there are already huge amounts of resources on the web devoted to this sort of stuff....
________
Granny vid
Last edited by philbo on Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Mon May 15, 2006 10:36 am

I would love to see more DIY in Tape Op, but I admit that the magazine already has more DIY stuff than most if not any other recording magazine.

The Royer mods and the Hamptone mic pres were great articles, as were the mods for SM57s, Oktava ML-52 and Alesis 3060. We can't forget the DIY Plate Reverb and build your own shock mounts either.

I would suggest that if one of us has an original idea for a DIY project that we come up with it and pitch it to the magazine. I have a list of things I would like to develop plans for that I just never get to, but if I ever do, I will surely pitch it to Larry.

Roger

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Tue May 16, 2006 3:08 pm

What percentage of the readers actually build or complete any of the DIY articles we run? That's been our concern, since we guess it's a pretty low amount and we have tons of backlogged articles waiting to run already!
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

ulriggribbons
steve albini likes it

Post by ulriggribbons » Wed May 17, 2006 5:02 pm

the articles in tapeop were what touched off minor bombs in my head, got me goin in the custom audio direction, which led to the formation of my own company.

Granted there were other things in my past that contributed, but tapeop certainly helped.

hows that for value added? :D

ju

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Tue May 23, 2006 11:43 am

I'm all for more DIY. what ever happened to the more complete 3630 mod that was supposed to appear??
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Tue May 23, 2006 4:52 pm

My first DIY mic was built after I ran across the "TapeOp Omni" article - I didn't build exactly that mic, but just discovering the possibilities really turned me loose.

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Tue May 23, 2006 6:05 pm

I'll also throw my hand in for this one. I have also done a number of the D.I.Y. projects/mods from the magazine. Most get regular use [Omni's, Shockmounts(which I later built to hold the omni's), ML-52 mod, a version of the telephone mic...]. Still haven't jumped into the 3630, but that is getting closer and closer to the top of the list. And everyday I get closer and closer to doing the SM57 mod that was in no. 50, or 51.
I have also taken the knowledge I have attained from the articles to and reworked/put towards/spurred on other projects I have worked with and on.

If they can't find a place into each issue due to space constraint, what about posting them on the site under the "Bonus Articles" section with a post in this Forum to give the heads up?

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...