STOP WASHINGTON FROM SCREWING UP THE INTERNET

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:37 pm

I'm trying to help with awareness of this proposed bill and the shit that Comcast, etc are up to. Please help.
LC

The internet has been a major force in the development of the independent music industry. Bands, small record labels, music businesses ? we all use the internet to reach our listeners and customers. Think about how important the internet has been to getting you where you are today. Now think about a world where the broadband providers make you pay for access to your customers, or where the big companies (e.g., the people who have the bucks to pay) get fast lane treatment for their offerings while the little guys are stuck in the slow lane. Does this seem right?

It?s not, but unless we stand up and demand that Congress maintain a free or net neutral internet, that?s what we?re going to get, and we?re going to get it soon. The cable and phone companies are winning the war over net neutrality, because they have the money to spend in Washington and a coordinated plan to prevent Congress from making net neutrality the law of the land on the internet.

So, what can you do? Take five minutes right now and call your Senators and Representative and tell them you support net neutrality and you want them to do so too. The Senate switchboard number (where they can connect you to any Senators office is (202) 224-3121. The House switchboard is (202) 225-3121.

What you can say:

Hi, I?m XXX and I live in XXX. I?m calling to tell you that I support net neutrality because it is the right thing to do for artists, consumers, small business owners and entrepreneurs. I support Senator Ron Wyden?s Internet Non-Discrimination Act, S 2360, and I would like to know how Senator XXX (or Representative XXX) will vote on the bill.

ASK FOR A RESPONSE. Whoever answers the phone (probably an intern or receptionist who won?t know much about the issue) should take your email or mailing address and promise to get you a response. By asking for a response, you?re making them record your opinion and craft a reply, which is the best way to make them pay attention. Our only hope right now is if the users of the internet stand up and demand that the level playing field we have all enjoyed on the internet is maintained for the future.

If you need more information on the issue, check out these links:

http://www.futureofmusic.org/action/ (scroll down through the newsletter to section 3 ?Policy Report on Capitol Hill ? Congress on Telecom?)
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2005/11/ ... ality.html
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8910

Thanks for your help!!!!!
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

jonathan
takin' a dinner break

Post by jonathan » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:56 pm

What the fuck, I'm calling...

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:11 pm

My rep probably won't give a rat's ass, but I'll call anyway.
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

dirty
steve albini likes it

Post by dirty » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:33 pm

I've met Jenny Toomey (from Future of Music Coalition) and she kicks ass, so I'm calling.

Thanks Larry.

fedexnman
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by fedexnman » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:03 am

yeah i agree !!! its all about $$.. so is XMAS NOW.. i have a cell phone, n i go to coffee shops to get online for free.... now im bout to break out the rabbit ears aah smack........... a penny saved is one earned
is it beer 30 yet?????

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

eBay gets in on the act. Cool.

Post by TapeOpLarry » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:45 am

eBay is rallying the forces to keep the internet as it is and out of the control of Comcast, etc. Grab this link to send letters to your congress folks. I know they're protecting their interests but they're helping ours too.

http://www.ebaymainstreet.com/takeactio ... eutrality1
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:45 am

I agree this is a very important issue, and I'm glad to see it is FINALLY getting the attention in the mainstream media that it deserves.

If you're a political economy theory geek like me, I recommend Lawrence Lessig's books; as recording engineers/producers we need to be very concerned about how we treat the creative process, and I think Lessig's arguments are extremely persuasive.

My own political leanings are a bit more radical however. I've also written an article on this subject; if you want a shorter read and if you aren't devoted to the current political status quo in the US you might like it.