McKinney article: more audiophile b.s.

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

scott macdonald
takin' a dinner break

Post by scott macdonald » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:40 am

You know, I'm an absolute newbie still recording onto cassette tape with sub-$100 mics and I loved that Pink Floyd article because it was a fascinating look into a bizarre world that I never knew existed. When I read that there are people in the world who listen to the direction current flows through cable my mind folded in half. I mean, what?!? Really? But hey, there's still plenty of stuff in TapeOp that a guy like me can relate to and learn from, that's why the magazine is so cool.

-scott

philbo
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by philbo » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:08 pm

Miles wrote:When Danny McK. demonstrates his ability to "hear" the differences among power cables and correctly identify "broken in" cables in controlled blind ABX tests, I'll stop ridiculing him. Until he or anybody believes him is willing to do that, his claims are unsubstantiated bullshit.

Miles
Amen, brother! ABX = Bullshit filter :D

Having said that, I think it's important to keep an unbiased and objective viewpoint. Until the test results are in.

A limitation of ABX tests (and any other blind listening test) is that there are differences in sensory and perceptional abilities of different listeners.

To be considered definitive, any listening test should encompass at least 35 listeners of random ages and genders, sort of like what Fletcher and Munson did at Bell Labs to get the Fletcher-Munson curves.

The real problem is that it's so much easier to post opinions than it is to perform tests... nobody wants to bother (with the notable exception of Lynn Fuston).

Opinions are still like assholes - - everybody has one. And now you've seen mine.... :lol:
________
VAPORIZER
Last edited by philbo on Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:59 am

spankenstein wrote:I take a big issue with the power cables, the ones that go from the wall outlet to the gear. Of the hundreds of miles of high voltage lines, the transformers, the breakers, the hundreds of feet of romex connected with wire nuts... that last 1m of cable is going to make a difference?
I'm in the camp that has discovered results, both good and bad, when experimenting with power cable upgrades. One EE type was explaining that the above observation people often make to refute the idea of power cord upgrades is actually off the mark. Power cables, in the way they function, should really be considered as extensions of the power supplies - not the cabling in the wall. That aside, I definitely wouldn't blame someone for raising an eye (or a middle finger) to the notion of "improving" the power cord. I used to...but am a little more open to the idea now. Now I do think it's hard to refute that over-designing a power supply is certainly a good thing and is one of the things that seperates the 'big boys' in the gear field. Ask Bryston or Pass Labs about that sometime.