RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
heartbreaking news

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> 2002-2007 TapeOpCon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
electrical
audio school

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: heartbreaking news Reply with quote

Each year at the Tape Op conference, Electrical Audio hosts a free poker tournament. The winner of the tournament gets a free day in the studio including tape and other necessities. This year, another studio also donated a day, making the prize worth several thousand dollars. Naturally, a free chance to have a couple of sessions in nice studios attracted a lot of attention from the attendees, all of whom love a bargain. The early favorite and eventual winner of this year's tournament was a fellow named Samuel Zawada, who accumulated an enormous chip lead over the course of the weekend. In addition to attending the conference, he and his fiancée Valerie McGregor were busy getting ready to travel back to Colorado for their upcoming wedding.

On July 3, while driving back to Colorado, the pickup the couple were riding in rolled over in New Mexico, killing both of them. On Saturday, July 8, the date of their planned wedding, the couple's families gathered at the church in Lafayette, Colorado, for a memorial service instead.

I am grateful that I had the pleasure of meeting Samuel, and that we spent many fine hours playing cards and talking about our common interests, music and recording. In particular, he was a fan of Zao, a band whose most recent album I had worked on, and he was happy to learn that they were all swell fellows. Samuel impressed me immediately as a smart and enthusiastic guy, a good poker player and a pleasure to be around. I had been looking forward to his session at our studio and getting to know him better, and news of his death came as a shock. I did not get to meet Valerie, but Sam spoke fondly of her, and I'm sure she was as terrific as he said.

Everyone at Electrical Audio would like to extend our sympathy to the families of Samuel and Valerie, in the grip of such a terrible tragedy. Our hearts break for them.

-steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electrical dot com
www dot electrical dot com
hauser gabone
gettin' sounds

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: heartbreaking news Reply with quote

horrible. my condolences to any friends/family that may read this board
Groovedog
audio school graduate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: heartbreaking news Reply with quote

That is just terrible, my heart goes out to their family and friends
John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: heartbreaking news Reply with quote

I sat next to Samuel at "Larry's Late Show" during this year's TapeOpCon. I had never met him before, and it was quite a coincidence to discover that we were both from Denver. We exchanged email addresses and planned to talk more in the future.

I never did get the chance to know Samuel very well, but even in the short time I talked to him, he spoke lovingly of his fiance and his future plans with her. He also mentioned that he was cleaning up at the poker table, and was very much enjoying the opportunity to play poker with Steve.

We have a local music site here called the Denver Message Board that also had a short thread dedicated to Samuel and his fiance. Click here.
cgarges
zen recordist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: heartbreaking news Reply with quote

That is sad, sad news.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve
http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/v225/958/64/n658207182_5941.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: heartbreaking news Reply with quote

this is indeed very sad.
my condolences.
Push-Pull
wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: heartbreaking news Reply with quote

What a sad story. Rest in peace Samuel and Valerie.
TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: heartbreaking news Reply with quote

I'm super sad to hear of this. Thanks Steve for posting and your kind words. Tape Op Mag and TapeOpCon send their condolences to the family and friends.
www.larry-crane.com
drumsound
zen recordist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: heartbreaking news Reply with quote

This makes me so sad!
SARA QUAH PLEDGE PAGE
WWRTBD?
echo park
audio school

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: heartbreaking news Reply with quote

but what a way to go! no doubt they were enjoying themselves for weeks on end. music... AZ/NM... poker with peers and heroes... tape op fun... i am saddened by our loss for what could have been, it seems they would have had great times ahead, too.

what could we do with that studio time to honor them?
TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: heartbreaking news Reply with quote

Maybe donate it to a local music school for kids or something? Or save it all up and double the prize for next year's poker game and make it a tribute game.
www.larry-crane.com
Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: heartbreaking news Reply with quote

Oh my. Truely tragic.
Beautiful words, Steve...

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.
joel hamilton
zen recordist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: heartbreaking news Reply with quote

TapeOpLarry wrote:
Maybe donate it to a local music school for kids or something? Or save it all up and double the prize for next year's poker game and make it a tribute game.

Name the game after him. Every year it should be the memorial poker game.

That is incredibly sad. I am about to get married, and putting myself in that situation is absolutely heartbreaking,....

Sincerely,
-Joel

http://www.studiogbrooklyn.com

http://www.lawless-music.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JGriffin
zen recordist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: heartbreaking news Reply with quote

joel hamilton wrote:

Name the game after him. Every year it should be the memorial poker game.

There's a good idea.

My condolences to the families.

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." – Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> 2002-2007 TapeOpCon All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: