RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
Is there an "ignore posts by __________" function?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Tape Op Message Board (TOMB)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lg
steve albini likes it

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Is there an "ignore posts by __________" function? Reply with quote

Professor wrote:
Wow, a resurrected post from what feels like ages ago.

Ah well, a new response from me anyway...
I recall the commandant at my high school once telling me that you learn as much, and indeed sometimes more, from people you dislike or with whom you disagree, because you learn about the kind of person you don't want to be.
Obviously that's easier said than done, but it's still something to consider.

-Jeremy

ok, but what if we already know we don't want to be that person?

old one eye
orbb
alignin' 24-trk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Is there an "ignore posts by __________" function? Reply with quote

TapeOpLarry wrote:
It seems like we have fairly mellow moderators? Am I wrong?

Mellow, lazy, whatever.
;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students

Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there an "ignore posts by __________" function? Reply with quote

Ever tried to participate in a forum where the moderators have heavy hands? The Tascam forums are an example. Try saying ANYTHING there that might find fault with any past, present, or future Tascam activities and your post will be immediately deleted. Do this a few times and you're OUT for good. Consequently, the forums are exceedingly dull. Or maybe Tascam stuff is just kind of dull, I don't know.

Anyway, we can all train ourselves not to tangle with people who sometimes make posts to get a rise out of us. Use the 'ignore' function that is built into your brain.
Randy
tinnitus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there an "ignore posts by __________" function? Reply with quote

Could this be a case of culture shock? I had and interesting conversation with a friend who does a lot of gaming and uses those message boards a lot. He started posting on a skater message board and got zapped by a huge culture shock. It seems that the boards he usually posts on are just free-for-alls with the insults. He and his best friends say the most evil things to each other online, but it has nothing to do with reality-it's just fun. So when he started posting on the skater site people were hurt. They said things like "when I see you at the park you are a really nice guy, what's the problem dude, too much whiskey? You might need some help."

Regardless, nobody Wants to be an asshole. Maybe we should have an online intervention with the negative posters. Or set up a new forum called the Hall Of Shame where we move the more useless, insulting posts.
lg
steve albini likes it

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there an "ignore posts by __________" function? Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Or set up a new forum called the Hall Of Shame where we move the more useless, insulting posts.

i dunno. reminds me of grade school. can't we all just get along? (donovan strumming wistfully in background)
;ivlunsdystf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there an "ignore posts by __________" function? Reply with quote

lg wrote:
can't we all just get along? (donovan strumming wistfully in background)

Unfortunately, no.

For all my talk about 'ignore', I actually suck at walking away from pointless attacks and petty arguments. Call 'ignore' an ideal that I claim to strive for. Maybe, instead, we should all start being total pricks in our posts, which would soon cause any truly vituperative posts to disappear into the general matrix of vileness. Here, I'll start: GO SUCK AN EGG!
John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there an "ignore posts by __________" function? Reply with quote

Tatertot wrote:
Maybe, instead, we should all start being total pricks in our posts, which would soon cause any truly vituperative posts to disappear into the general matrix of vileness. Here, I'll start: GO SUCK AN EGG!

Suck an egg? Is that the best you can do, fuckknuckle? The only thing worse than your pointless, meandering music is your misguidedly amateurish attempt to record it. You're probably ugly and stupid, too.

How's that? Mr. Green
trodden
on a wing and a prayer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there an "ignore posts by __________" function? Reply with quote

Tatertot wrote:
lg wrote:

Unfortunately, no.

For all my talk about 'ignore', I actually suck at walking away from pointless attacks and petty arguments. Call 'ignore' an ideal that I claim to strive for. Maybe, instead, we should all start being total pricks in our posts, which would soon cause any truly vituperative posts to disappear into the general matrix of vileness. Here, I'll start: GO SUCK AN EGG!

I'll suck one for $35.
http://www.facebook.com/brandon.fitzsimons

www.wormwood.us
;ivlunsdystf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there an "ignore posts by __________" function? Reply with quote

John Jeffers wrote:
Tatertot wrote:
Maybe, instead, we should all start being total pricks in our posts, which would soon cause any truly vituperative posts to disappear into the general matrix of vileness. Here, I'll start: GO SUCK AN EGG!

Suck an egg? Is that the best you can do, fuckknuckle? The only thing worse than your pointless, meandering music is your misguidedly amateurish attempt to record it. You're probably ugly and stupid, too.

How's that? :mrgreen:

Yeah, come back with a REAL avatar and say that, in carefully typed text, such that I can peruse it on a backlit screen many miles from where you typed it!
John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there an "ignore posts by __________" function? Reply with quote

Tatertot wrote:
Yeah, come back with a REAL avatar and say that, in carefully typed text, such that I can peruse it on a backlit screen many miles from where you typed it!

Oh, snap! No you dit'nt!!!
JGriffin_formerlyDWLB
zen recordist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there an "ignore posts by __________" function? Reply with quote

trodden wrote:
Tatertot wrote:
lg wrote:

Unfortunately, no.

I'll suck one for $35.

I just knew you weren't a real vegan.

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/
trodden
on a wing and a prayer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Is there an "ignore posts by __________" function? Reply with quote

dwlb wrote:
trodden wrote:
Tatertot wrote:
lg wrote:

Unfortunately, no.

I'll suck one for $35.

I just knew you weren't a real vegan.

ahahhahaha, oh fuek.
http://www.facebook.com/brandon.fitzsimons

www.wormwood.us
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Tape Op Message Board (TOMB) All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: