Is there an "ignore posts by __________" function?

comments or issues with this board

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

lg
steve albini likes it

Post by lg » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:21 am

Professor wrote:Wow, a resurrected post from what feels like ages ago.

Ah well, a new response from me anyway...
I recall the commandant at my high school once telling me that you learn as much, and indeed sometimes more, from people you dislike or with whom you disagree, because you learn about the kind of person you don't want to be.
Obviously that's easier said than done, but it's still something to consider.

-Jeremy
ok, but what if we already know we don't want to be that person?

:oneeye:

orbb
alignin' 24-trk

Post by orbb » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:19 am

TapeOpLarry wrote:It seems like we have fairly mellow moderators? Am I wrong?
Mellow, lazy, whatever.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:07 am

Ever tried to participate in a forum where the moderators have heavy hands? The Tascam forums are an example. Try saying ANYTHING there that might find fault with any past, present, or future Tascam activities and your post will be immediately deleted. Do this a few times and you're OUT for good. Consequently, the forums are exceedingly dull. Or maybe Tascam stuff is just kind of dull, I don't know.

Anyway, we can all train ourselves not to tangle with people who sometimes make posts to get a rise out of us. Use the 'ignore' function that is built into your brain.

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:40 am

Could this be a case of culture shock? I had and interesting conversation with a friend who does a lot of gaming and uses those message boards a lot. He started posting on a skater message board and got zapped by a huge culture shock. It seems that the boards he usually posts on are just free-for-alls with the insults. He and his best friends say the most evil things to each other online, but it has nothing to do with reality-it's just fun. So when he started posting on the skater site people were hurt. They said things like "when I see you at the park you are a really nice guy, what's the problem dude, too much whiskey? You might need some help."

Regardless, nobody Wants to be an asshole. Maybe we should have an online intervention with the negative posters. Or set up a new forum called the Hall Of Shame where we move the more useless, insulting posts.
not to worry, just keep tracking....

lg
steve albini likes it

Post by lg » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:22 pm

Randy wrote:Or set up a new forum called the Hall Of Shame where we move the more useless, insulting posts.
i dunno. reminds me of grade school. can't we all just get along? (donovan strumming wistfully in background)

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:26 pm

lg wrote:can't we all just get along? (donovan strumming wistfully in background)
Unfortunately, no.

For all my talk about 'ignore', I actually suck at walking away from pointless attacks and petty arguments. Call 'ignore' an ideal that I claim to strive for. Maybe, instead, we should all start being total pricks in our posts, which would soon cause any truly vituperative posts to disappear into the general matrix of vileness. Here, I'll start: GO SUCK AN EGG!

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:40 pm

Tatertot wrote:Maybe, instead, we should all start being total pricks in our posts, which would soon cause any truly vituperative posts to disappear into the general matrix of vileness. Here, I'll start: GO SUCK AN EGG!
Suck an egg? Is that the best you can do, fuckknuckle? The only thing worse than your pointless, meandering music is your misguidedly amateurish attempt to record it. You're probably ugly and stupid, too.

How's that? :mrgreen:

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:40 pm

Tatertot wrote:
lg wrote:can't we all just get along? (donovan strumming wistfully in background)
Unfortunately, no.

For all my talk about 'ignore', I actually suck at walking away from pointless attacks and petty arguments. Call 'ignore' an ideal that I claim to strive for. Maybe, instead, we should all start being total pricks in our posts, which would soon cause any truly vituperative posts to disappear into the general matrix of vileness. Here, I'll start: GO SUCK AN EGG!
I'll suck one for $35.

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:45 pm

John Jeffers wrote:
Tatertot wrote:Maybe, instead, we should all start being total pricks in our posts, which would soon cause any truly vituperative posts to disappear into the general matrix of vileness. Here, I'll start: GO SUCK AN EGG!
Suck an egg? Is that the best you can do, fuckknuckle? The only thing worse than your pointless, meandering music is your misguidedly amateurish attempt to record it. You're probably ugly and stupid, too.

How's that? :mrgreen:
Yeah, come back with a REAL avatar and say that, in carefully typed text, such that I can peruse it on a backlit screen many miles from where you typed it!

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Tatertot wrote:Yeah, come back with a REAL avatar and say that, in carefully typed text, such that I can peruse it on a backlit screen many miles from where you typed it!
Oh, snap! No you dit'nt!!!

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:47 pm

trodden wrote:
Tatertot wrote:
Unfortunately, no.

I'll suck one for $35.
I just knew you weren't a real vegan.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:24 pm

dwlb wrote:
trodden wrote:
Tatertot wrote:
Unfortunately, no.

I'll suck one for $35.
I just knew you weren't a real vegan.
ahahhahaha, oh fuek.