RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
TJ Doherty?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Listening to Other Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tragabigzanda
steve albini likes it

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: TJ Doherty? Reply with quote

This guy has done some great sounding stuff lately...SY's "Rather Ripped," Wilco's "Sky Blue Sky". I *think* he's worked with Jim O'Rourke on past projects, too (I read that O'Rourke is the one who hooked him up with SY for "Ripped").

Anyone know anything else about this guy? He seems to have come out of nowhere, but those two albums are already two of my all-time favorites. Did he do something with the Hold Steady? I think I heard that somewhere, but haven't actually listened to those guys...

Any info? Larry, how about a Tape Op interview?
Tragabigzanda
steve albini likes it

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: TJ Doherty? Reply with quote

*bump*

I want me some TJ info.
Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: TJ Doherty? Reply with quote

Tragibigzanda wrote:
*bump*

I want me some TJ info.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I also like those records quite a bit.
Tragabigzanda
steve albini likes it

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: TJ Doherty? Reply with quote

Damn, I need me a girl with feathered hair...
bedbug
buyin' a studio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: TJ Doherty? Reply with quote

I thought this thread could use a bump.

I've been a big fan of TJ's lately. Something about the electric guitars on Rather Ripped, Sky Blue Sky, and Born Again in the USA sound so pure, you can just hear the pick on the strings. He gets the cleanest sounds I've ever heard. I've considered Born Again in the USA to be the companion to Sky Blue Sky, even though one is generally mellow, and the other more rockin'. I'm starting to think that the TJ magic is gluing them together. Those guitars have a really specific sound, I'm even picking it up on the Sonic Youth. They just feel more 3D to me than most new shite.

I could hardly find any info on him though.
Tragabigzanda
steve albini likes it

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: TJ Doherty? Reply with quote

Shit, I didn't know he did Born Again; I just assumed it was O'Rourke, since he plays on it. Yea, Doherty is getting some of the best sounds out there right now...Larry, let's get an interview with this guy!
bedbug
buyin' a studio

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: TJ Doherty? Reply with quote

Tragibigzanda wrote:
Larry, let's get an interview with this guy!

I second that emotion.
Tragabigzanda
steve albini likes it

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: TJ Doherty? Reply with quote

I would actuallly go so far as to say that Rather Ripper is one of the best sounding recordings I've ever heard...

I think Sky Blue Sky sounds phenomenal, too, but sometimes Jeff's voice is a little round on the bottom.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Listening to Other Music All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: