Mixing on the Cheap?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

SteveL
audio school

Mixing on the Cheap?

Post by SteveL » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:36 pm

First post by a long time lurker. This thread was inspired by the "Mastering on the cheap" thread last month. There were alot of cheap and good mastering engineers mentioned there. What about Mixing? My band has an album that needs to be mixed and everyone we have contacted have been anywhere from $5000-$15000 to mix it, which we can't afford.

So are there any good mixing engineers out there that do good and affordable work?

Thanks.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:23 pm

Me.

(Expect to see the same type of reply several more times throughout the course of the day! :wink: )

Seriously though, I've picked up a couple mixing gigs from the board in the short time I've been active here. It's actually a surprisingly decent resource for connecting with others. I think it's because it's a relatively small "community". I'm sure you could find someone who would fit the bill right here, without ever getting out of your seat.

Plenty of folks who do great, affordable work (myself included) would be happy to send you a demo reel. You could also have a look in the liner notes of some of your favorite records that were done on shoestring budgets

Good luck out there!
Last edited by fossiltooth on Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:30 pm

fossiltooth wrote:Me.

(Expect to see the same type of reply several more times throughout the course of the day! :wink: )

k Holmes
pluggin' in mics

Post by k Holmes » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:39 pm

What they said.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:37 pm

What's you budget? How many songs? How many tracks per song?

ashcat_lt
tinnitus

Post by ashcat_lt » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:16 am

^and what format?

tomberdude
pushin' record

Post by tomberdude » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:45 am

Well, I want to get rid of this CRT and pick up an LCD screen. I'll do the whole thing for $300 flat, no time limit (unless you have one).

Check out my work here, and think about it.

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:16 am

I know what's going to happen soon. Bands are going to put up multitracks and say 'mix this and we'll put the best mix for each song on the record.' No pay just credit on an album. They'll probably be swimming in submissions.

Not that really applies here. I'm sure you can find a quality mixer for less that $5k.
Such as myself....
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

tomberdude
pushin' record

Post by tomberdude » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:05 am

RoyMatthews wrote:I know what's going to happen soon. Bands are going to put up multitracks and say 'mix this and we'll put the best mix for each song on the record.' No pay just credit on an album. They'll probably be swimming in submissions.
that's unlikely.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:09 am

Destroy Big Brother wrote:
RoyMatthews wrote:I know what's going to happen soon. Bands are going to put up multitracks and say 'mix this and we'll put the best mix for each song on the record.' No pay just credit on an album. They'll probably be swimming in submissions.
that's unlikely.
offering to mix a whole album, of unknown length and unknown complexity, for $300 is not really that far off from "will mix for food" or "will mix for credit"

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:15 am

Destroy Big Brother wrote:
that's unlikely.
Why? I'm not talking a major label type band but a small indie band. I'm sure a band could make such a post on here and get enough decent mixes for it to work. It may even be a good way of getting some cheap publicity.
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

SteveL
audio school

Post by SteveL » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:45 am

Thank you to everyone here offering their services. I will consider all of you and if there is anyone else here that mixes just let me know and I'll consider you as well.

BUT, I'd like to change my question to this: Can anyone here recommend a mixing engineer *other then themselves* that does good work and is affordable?

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:46 am

subatomic pieces wrote:offering to mix a whole album, of unknown length and unknown complexity, for $300 is not really that far off from "will mix for food" or "will mix for credit"
+1. i've done a couple records for friends for that little but in general, no. i'd rather be sleeping.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:46 am

Not that really applies here. I'm sure you can find a quality mixer for less that $5k.
Such as myself....
:lol: :roll:
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:49 am

SteveL wrote:BUT, I'd like to change my question to this: Can anyone here recommend a mixing engineer *other then themselves* that does good work and is affordable?
where's the fun in that? :D

i actually don't know what other people charge so i dunno who's affordable.

but i recommend fossiltooth. *nudges justin*