FOOD ZONE: Frozen White Castle Burgers

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

FOOD ZONE: Frozen White Castle Burgers

Post by eeldip » Wed May 21, 2003 11:16 am

Suprisingly, not as good as the real thing.

But if you live on the West Coast, what are you going to do? Add ketchup and relish after nuking for 25 seconds per burger.

Also, very expensive. Easy to eat a whole box.

Topic: Why are White Castle Burgers so good?

DeafinONEear
steve albini likes it

Re: FOOD ZONE: Frozen White Castle Burgers

Post by DeafinONEear » Wed May 21, 2003 11:21 am

oh, man... I love those things! I grew up on them.
Actually, my dog back home (I guess that meakes her my parent's dog) is getting a bit older now and the vet said we need to start putting on the weight for her, so now she gets one white castle in the morning and one in the evening.
I'm so fucking jelous of that dog!
god those are good.
wish I could have the real thing though.... but then again, the east coast doesn't have In-N-Out (which, subsequently, was better when it wasn't a larger chain and was kept down in LA...)

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Wed May 21, 2003 11:32 am

in and out is perhaps the greatest fast food chain. (confirmed by the author of fast food nation)

but the whole fisherman's warf location is a big disadvantage.

have you been to wizz burger?

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Wed May 21, 2003 12:05 pm

I see you two are bay area guys...They opened up an in and out burger in daily city about year ago...Its bomb. That secret menu thing is sooo cool

DeafinONEear
steve albini likes it

Post by DeafinONEear » Wed May 21, 2003 12:24 pm

Yeah... The fishermans warf thing is pretty whack, but there's also the one down near Serramonte which shares a parking lot with krispy kreme-- you can get a #2 with extra tomatoes and then glide on over to get a couple of cholestorol bullets before you leave. fucking killer.

Whiz Burger. Ya know, I just haven't been able to warm up to that place yet. I mean, the burgers are way better than, say, Jacks or Murder King, but Beeps over by City College still has Whiz Burger beat. And since, timewise, they're both equidistant from my house, I go to beeps. Actually, that's the most frequented dining establishment that my band and I eat at before practice.
That and that Mercado/Sandwich shop on 19th and Folsom... have you been there? Right in our neighborhood.... they have awsome tortas for $3.50, but the price has gone up in the past year or two, though it's still very worth it (and thier cerviche is quite good too).

bert
gettin' sounds

Post by bert » Wed May 21, 2003 12:29 pm

eeldip wrote: have you been to wizz burger?
DUDE! whizzburgers is that walk up place in the mission, right?
How is that place? I'm intrigued, yet I know no one who's dared try it. All my friends here in SF are horrible vegitarians that guilt-trip the hell out of me for everything I do (eat).
God, I went home to Texas last week and got my fill of wonderful meat,
mmmmmm...burgers.
mmmmmm...bar-b-que.
mmmmmmm...green chile enchiladas
*drools*

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Wed May 21, 2003 1:19 pm

hey bert...
are you the same bert who was in the now defunct "the new left right?"

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Wed May 21, 2003 3:09 pm

wizz burger is all about the atmosphere. a southern california place dropped right in a funny deep mission neighborhood. the burgers are decent. the banana shakes have real bananas in them. the vege burger is a step up. i mostly go there for the shakes.

what is beeps? my personal mission favorite is big mouth burger. again, great meat and non meat burgers. garlic mayo!

i have heard much about that torta place. across from the asphalt soccer park right? i have a friend who grew up in mexico city and she swears by it. also the tacos that come out of the window of the house a block down the street on 19th- she loves those. i love tortas, i'll have to stop by on my way home and get one. stopped there plenty to get onions and garlic... but never stayed for the food.

bert
gettin' sounds

Post by bert » Wed May 21, 2003 3:14 pm

newjusto wrote:hey bert...
are you the same bert who was in the now defunct "the new left right?"
Totally, is this Dave or Justin? Sorry if I have the names wrong...

spesimen
audio school graduate

Post by spesimen » Wed May 21, 2003 4:09 pm

there is a white castle 1 mile from my house and it is open 24 hours.

mmm.

DeafinONEear
steve albini likes it

Post by DeafinONEear » Wed May 21, 2003 4:37 pm

eeldip wrote:wizz burger is all about the atmosphere. a southern california place dropped right in a funny deep mission neighborhood. the burgers are decent. the banana shakes have real bananas in them. the vege burger is a step up. i mostly go there for the shakes.

what is beeps? my personal mission favorite is big mouth burger. again, great meat and non meat burgers. garlic mayo!

i have heard much about that torta place. across from the asphalt soccer park right? i have a friend who grew up in mexico city and she swears by it. also the tacos that come out of the window of the house a block down the street on 19th- she loves those. i love tortas, i'll have to stop by on my way home and get one. stopped there plenty to get onions and garlic... but never stayed for the food.
I've never tried the shakes, so I'll have to give it a try... Are thier Churros good, like Mission good (or at least Disneyland good?) or are they like freezer section good (which isn't good at all.)?

Beeps is on Ocean, a couple blocks from City College. I suggest you try it and get a 1/4 Special. They have pretty descent shakes, though NO ONE makes a shake like Mitchells shakes with Mexcan Chocolate ice cream! YUM-BOWS!

About that taco-coming-out-of-the-house place... my bassist and I started going there for a bit because the tacos are a dollar, have good meat, and yuo can pile on all sorts of shit (cilantro, good salsa AND unlimited guacamole), but after abou the third visit the lady that makes them all started giving me the eye. Not, like, a good eye though-- like "I'm an old lady that wants to tear your pants off and have my way with you in a gross sort of way" eye and she would just stare at me and smile this dirty smile and every so often say something in spanish and I would ask the money guy what she said and he'd be like "she thinks you a very handsome man" and "she thinks you are quite attractive" all the while she's back there smiling that smile at me. I couldn't believe it... normally when a woman would do this (though I'm thinking in thier 20's) I would be way into it and it would make my day, but I was just grossed out and now I think I know what it's like to be a woman surrounded by pig-men, only that's about a thousand times worse.
So now I can't go there. If I really have a hankering for it, I'll send someone to pick them up or I'll stay in the car, but there's no way in hell you can get me to go up to that counter again. Usually, I get my tacos from the El Tonyense trucks or from Poncho Villa (order a $2 taco and extra tortillas and split it into 4 tacos with tons of salsa).
now I'm hungry again.

are you from LA?

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Wed May 21, 2003 5:04 pm

Bert,

This is Justin...whoa thats crazy... Hows it going...

cassembler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by cassembler » Wed May 21, 2003 10:07 pm

White Caslte burgers have got to be up there with some of the worst texture I've ever experienced. Tasted ok, felt like that clear gook that sticks to the walls...

Fries ok.
http://www.dfwsound.com (production co)
http://www.dfwsoundvision.com (studio)
"Man is doomed to perpetually fluctuate between states of extreme boredom and extreme turbulence."

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu May 22, 2003 12:45 am

they have chicken rings..
what part of the bird does that come from??

out of control.

helstab
george martin

Post by helstab » Thu May 22, 2003 7:16 am

Baja Fresh! For us on the beat coast. We can't get mexican. Definatly not quality cheap mexican burritos.

BUT!

If you have never been to baltimore you are missing out on the GREATEST BAR FOOD scene there is. The food in the bars here is out of control. CRAB DIP to say the least. Oh and SOUP SOUP SOUP! The best soup!

White Castle is mush ass drunkin slop. I love it too!

If you haven't tryed it. Go get Jack in the Box's Tacos if you have been drinking.

If you ever go to Phoenix Hit up every mexican fast food place you can because they have the finest in the country! Ramiro's, Filberto's. alberto's, Hilberto's, and many many more.
-Matthew Macchio$tab