Audio Technica ATM25

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
assfortress
steve albini likes it

Audio Technica ATM25

Post by assfortress » Sat Nov 08, 2003 10:11 pm

I'll start this off. Hopefully it takes off. This is the first review I've ever written, so everyone(fellow home/practice space recordists and full time engineers) should feel free to post their reviews. So here I go. Im going to give you my opinion of the Audio Technica ATM 25. From what I understand its designed to be a kick drum mic. When I bought it that's what I planned on using it as. It works great. I've used it as the only mic on the kick and it sounded pretty good. I had to do quite a bit of eq'ing to make it come through in the mix. I've also done the tunnel, with this right up against the head with a LDC a couple feet back, and it sounded awesome. I've also tried it on electric guitar and snare drum. Sounded great on both. As i expected it had a really thick sound up close on a 4x12 cab. When I was trying to mic up a snare with a 57 and was having no luck, I tried the ATM 25 right up on the shell, less that an inch away. I was very pleased. If you want to hear the recording go to www.record.all.at. The "scarlet project" song is the only song with this on the snare like i just described. I am just starting to experiment with close micing toms and it seems to do a good job on that as well. Musicians Friend says its $199.99. Its definitely worth that much. I don't remember where i ordered mine from but I told them that my local guitar center had it for $119 and they sold it to me for that price. Its great mic that really sounds great on everything I've tried it on, I would recommend it to anyone.
"It?s the consequence you?ll pay, as long as you got the sound of it blowing up on tape."

Al
moves faders with mind

Re: Audio Technica ATM25

Post by Al » Fri Nov 21, 2003 7:37 am

Thanks assfortress!.

I've heard many good things about this mic, and i might just check them out sometime, the price is good too!, and who knows? maybe the ATM 25 and the D112 might be a deadly combination on kick drum!

Al

Stubbadub
audio school graduate

Post by Stubbadub » Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:27 pm

wow, im actually impressed by that snare actually. very natural sounding to me. what's your signal path that you used for the atm25 on that song?

Stubbadub
audio school graduate

Post by Stubbadub » Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:30 pm

and the end of that song is freakin heavy in like a godspeed/explosions in the sky kind of way

assfortress
steve albini likes it

Post by assfortress » Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:32 pm

its actually just the atm 25 into my tascam m50 and then into snoar. With a little 'verb when mixing. Thanks for the kind words. If anyone wants to add another review of the mic I know alot of people said they use these.

Matt.
"It?s the consequence you?ll pay, as long as you got the sound of it blowing up on tape."

theposterkid
gettin' sounds

Post by theposterkid » Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:57 am

I don't know if he still does, but in an interview from 1996 I believe, Mark Trombino said he likes this on bass amps.

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:31 pm

Ive read in some interview that terry date uses that mic on kicks. thats a pretty good endorsement...

dave

markpar
george martin

Post by markpar » Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:33 pm

I've had really good results using the ATM25 on floor tom, too.

-mark

assfortress
steve albini likes it

Post by assfortress » Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:09 pm

i think we should replace the sayings "its the sm57 of compressors" or whatever gear is being talked about with "its the atm25 of compressors".

Matt.

Family Hoof
buyin' a studio

Post by Family Hoof » Sat May 01, 2004 5:53 pm

Sorry to bump up such an old thread but I couldn't resist. I've been eyeing this mic for almost a year, ever since I worked stage at CBGB and discovered that it's the only mic they use on bass cab. Other reviews around the net concurred that it was less colored than most kick drum mics and worked well on bass for that reason.

exit2studios
takin' a dinner break

Post by exit2studios » Mon May 03, 2004 12:21 pm

what about the lower cost Pro25 or whatever it's called?

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

I have the pro25. I've ended up using it more for live sound than recording.
It's OK but not great. It works well on kick with a LDC a few feet out front.

NewYorkDave
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewYorkDave » Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

The Pro25 is decent for the money. I've used it to record bass guitar (P-Bass through a Portaflex) and was happy with the results. I haven't tried it on kick, though.

jerfo
pluggin' in mics

Post by jerfo » Mon May 03, 2004 1:25 pm

Long time lurker, first time poster...please be gentle.

I've actually been very happy with my Pro25 as a kick drum mic, especially when compared to the AKG D112. While the D112 has always sounded boomy and unfocused on the kick drums that I've recorded, the Pro25 has a tighter and (IMHO) much more usable sound. (For what it's worth, my latest session involved recording a DW kit with a 20" bass drum with the mic just outside of the drum's sound hole, pointed at the beater.) I've also used it on floor toms with acceptable results, although the sound wasn't significantly different from using an SM57 on that same drum.

Your mileage may vary, but it's a nice mic to have for the money. They generally run between $60-70 new.

- Jerfo

jtienhaara
steve albini likes it

Post by jtienhaara » Sat May 08, 2004 12:53 pm

Another longtime lurker / first time reviewer. I know this thread is old but wanted to share my experiences with the ATM25...

I started off using ATM25's on toms. Have used it on kick too. In terms of sound I'm not 100% happy with the ATM25 on kick and toms -- it sounds kind of ringy to me, emphasizing the ring of the drum rather than the thwack / thud. It's only a very slight emphasis though. So I put up with it and EQ it a bit because these are the only mics I can afford to put in front of mad Muppet drummers. ATM25's are indestructible!

Where they really shine for me is on distorted guitars. I did an A/B/C test, comparing the ATM25 to SM57 and MD421 on a heavily distorted (BOSS distortion) Marshall 4 x 10.

- The SM57 sounded like a pneumatic drill. (It might respond better to a 4 x 12 cab, but basically I hate SM57s.)

- The MD421 sounded good and even, bringing out the rumble that the SM57 didn't pick up.

- The ATM25 sounded huge!

I'm not sure why the ATM25 sounded so much fatter than the MD421. I've squinted at the specs online:

- http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/ic ... root/00984#

- http://www.audio-technica.com/prodpro/p ... ATM25.html

And as far as I can tell the frequency response curves are very similar *but* the ATM25 has an interesting little peak down around 70 Hz. The MD421 basically dies below 100Hz. Maybe the low boost is what makes the ATM25 sound so darn good? Dunno...

Anyway I highly recommend this mic for heavy guitars.

And now, after reading Assfortress's review, I'm going to go try her out on snare...

Cheers,

Johann Tienhaara
Victoria, B.C., Canada