adat (toslink) to firewire or usb interface?

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
tony moore
pushin' record

adat (toslink) to firewire or usb interface?

Post by tony moore » Tue May 20, 2003 9:05 pm

anyone know of a simple interface to get 8 channels of audio via toslink (adat) thru firewire or usb? we've been using a yamaha 01v with an adat card for gigs and i'd love to be able to mult the mix to the 8 tracks of adat and record on my ibook. fwiw, i'd be using dp (or pt) on a mac.

thanks!

tony

markpar
george martin

Re: adat (toslink) to firewire or usb interface?

Post by markpar » Tue May 20, 2003 10:20 pm

Off the top of my head, the only thing that comes to mind is the MOTU 828. Probably a bit spendy for what you need, though.

-mark

tony moore
pushin' record

Post by tony moore » Wed May 21, 2003 4:09 am

yeah, i was hoping for some little box, preferably usb powered as well. i did find a bok that does the opposite. iow, it outputs from usb to adat lightpipe. but it's only 16 bit and only goes one way. sounds strange...

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Wed May 21, 2003 5:36 pm

I'm not aware of any device that will move eight channels in and out of USB as I've always understood the USB format to be too slow for that much date to pass through. There's lots of two channel in and two channel out, but no 8-channels. That said, there has been a lot of movement into firewire for that very reason. The catch will be compatibility with your software. If you are going to use Pro Tools or Digital Performer, you had better check to see what DigiDesign and MOTU have to offer as they do not typically play well with others. There is a piece from Metric Halo I think that will move lots of channels in and out and may be powered off of the computer, but you should double check. Oh, and FYI Toslink is a two-channel optical format that is similar to S/PDIF while ADAT's digital I/O is called ADAT Optical - I'd hate for you to get a 'toslink' interface only to find out that it won't work.

-Jeremy

soundhack
takin' a dinner break

Post by soundhack » Thu May 22, 2003 12:13 pm

digidesign just came up with a new rack mount box (digi 002 rack). it has 8 toslink , 8 adc, 8 dac, 2 aes/ebu to firewire. its around $1200 i think.

i wish someone would make a box without adc/dac convertors, just adat<>firewire.