Advice about the LA music recording scene...

matt
pluggin' in mics

Advice about the LA music recording scene...

Post by matt » Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:11 pm

Hello everyone. I'm a 34 year old with about 2 years audio internship experience (mostly audio post) and a degree from an audio school. I currently live in the SF Bay Area, but due to the sluggish economy & the limited number of music recording studios here, I've recently been considering a move to the LA area. My ultimate goal is to find steady (if there is such a thing) work as a recording engineer. I'm not completely naive to the obstacles and challenges inherent to this particular career choice, but I also know that this is really what I want to do. So...

Having said that, I'd really appreciate any advice, suggestions, and WARNINGS from anyone who has had some experience working as an intern and/or engineer in the LA music industry. What are some good/great studios to work at? (I know that I'll have to begin as a lowly intern).
What are some studios to be avoided like the plague?

I'm willing to do what it takes -- i.e, work my ass off, even as a (gulp) unpaid intern -- but realistically, I can only pull that off for about a year.

Anyway, any comments and suggestions regarding this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot,
Matt