The importance of backing up your data.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

The importance of backing up your data.

Post by Jeff White » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:33 pm

Well, it finally happened this afternoon. I had a hard drive die on me. My 500GB internal drive of the G5, which is partitioned in half, shit the bed. It's the second drive in there and separate from the System drive.

I had my iTunes library on there (125GB), all of my recording projects (200GB), backups of photos, bill receipts, software from the last 3 years, all of the multitrack files that I found online last January, etc. I think that there was like 22GB free between both partitions.

Luckily I have everything backed up. Everything. This could have been a total disaster.

So this is a friendly reminder to back up your important data!

I follow Joel Hamilton's advice and keep three backups of everything important and keep one of the three backups in a separate location.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

Post by DryCounty » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:26 pm

Well that's good news there! Three backups is ideal but two is more than enough so long as you stick to a schedule, say weekly, and move one of them offsite once the backup completes. I have plenty of clients that do that and sleep so much easier because of it.

Do you want your only backup to be attached to your computer on the day that your house burns down?
"I would imagine that the inside of a bottle of cleaning fluid is fucking clean." -Hedberg
-----
Tulsa Drone
Dry County Records ? Richmond, Virginia
twitter: drycounty

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:17 pm

wowza

i used to have the hard drives at the studio set up for raid mirroring but the performance was really, really bad. so, next year i'm going to recommend that each client brings their own portable drive for daily backups. doesn't really take that long... and it could save the day!

glad to hear everythings' ok jeff.

-mike
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:19 pm

Wow,
I am really glad that all my annoying, mean-dad-esque ranting actually helped someone!!!! :)

Glad.

I need to follow my own advice a bit more at home... I do it at the studio, but I dont think I have backed up my iTunes library in a while... heh...um... :roll:

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:58 pm

joel hamilton wrote:Wow,
I am really glad that all my annoying, mean-dad-esque ranting actually helped someone!!!! :)
Man, I'm glad you're the annoying one- I was beginning to think it was me!

jakeao
steve albini likes it

Post by jakeao » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:11 pm

Man, I'm glad you're the annoying one- I was beginning to think it was me!
Don't feel left out, you're still a pain in the ass. :)
..."Look lady it's real simple. You slip me the cash, and I slip you the wiener."
" But I don't have any cash"
" Then I don't have a wiener!!!"