Post Removed/Censored?

comments or issues with this board

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

What genre do you exclude based on stereotypes?

Hip-hop/Rap
46%
Rock
No votes
Pop
No votes
Country
21%
R&B
4%
Jazz
No votes
Electronica
13%
Orchestral
17%

Total votes: 24

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:11 pm

I don't turn anybody down due to music or musical style. A lot of the hip-hop that I don't do or turn down is because the person at the other end of the line is asking me to make beats, which I don't do (not because I'm above it, but because I don't know how, doon't have sequencer or computer. I'ts like asking me to play saxophone on a session, I don't how to do that either) or or schedules don't hook up (can we come in tomorrow--No I'm book for the nest 6 days) or they don't want to deal with my minimum session time (only 3 hours for one instrument).

As fro the concept of 'offensive' music I'm often more offended by a crappy song or performance than I might be by a (hopefully) creative tail of one's exploits with women or the police.

drfringe
audio school graduate

Post by drfringe » Wed May 28, 2008 9:18 pm

Yo! Where's the vote for the clear channel flavor? They've ruined a lot of radio with their PC produced algorithm produced ga ga.

Great discussion! I do have a few biases but like a lot of you I try to overcome them. My main one would be electronica, at least on the amateur front. Some of the stuff is just underwhelming

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

why i don't...

Post by TapeOpHillary » Fri May 30, 2008 7:00 am

i don't record hip hop because:
1. i don't listen to it and feel i wouldn't be able to do it justice
2. in the commercial world, everything has to be slightly distorted to be competitive and i'm very sensitive to distortion and don't like it
3. i prefer to record acoustic-based instruments or if it's all electronic, i'd prefer to just mix it
4. musically, there aren't enough changes to make me happy
5. lyrically, don't even get me started... unless we're talking about dead prez, etc or a politically-active/aware group

as far as a thread being removed by chris (the moderator), i fully back any moderating he does. i'm sure he had a good reason...

:mrpink: hillary

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Re: why i don't...

Post by Jay Reynolds » Fri May 30, 2008 7:20 am

TapeOpHillary wrote:i don't record hip hop because:
2. in the commercial world, everything has to be slightly distorted to be competitive and i'm very sensitive to distortion and don't like it
3. i prefer to record acoustic-based instruments or if it's all electronic, i'd prefer to just mix it
4. musically, there aren't enough changes to make me happy
5. lyrically, don't even get me started... unless we're talking about dead prez, etc or a politically-active/aware group

as far as a thread being removed by chris (the moderator), i fully back any moderating he does. i'm sure he had a good reason...

:mrpink: hillary
What? No love for MF Doom or Kool Keith? Tribe? And honestly. when I hear Dead Prez rhymin about robbing pizza delivery guys, it takes them a notch in my world.
Prog out with your cog out.

nerdtronica
pluggin' in mics

Post by nerdtronica » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:02 pm

Genre's excluded? :shock:

I just don't get how a whole genre could be excluded by anyone. If I dislike something, I try to do it better on my own or do some digging.

On other forums I've heard, "screw hip-hop/country that's for amateurs." What??!?

All these genres have their stinkers and whizzes, if you don't like what you hear from a genre, I suggest digging a bit deeper. Usually if someone doesn't like a genre they haven't done that. I know I have disregarded things in the past and there is always something out there that changes my mind. I just try to remain open on that tip.

Cheers

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:38 pm

That's pretty much the only reason I turn down any client at this moment in time. And even that rule gets bent sometimes.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

jckinnick
buyin' a studio

Post by jckinnick » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:21 pm

Ive got my fingers crossed that Madlib will be interviewed in Tape Op for his next release like promised.

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:26 pm

dwlb wrote:
That's pretty much the only reason I turn down any client at this moment in time. And even that rule gets bent sometimes.
well, if you're assuming that you are the engineer AND producer. Ideally a serious act either
a) knows how they want it to sound, and tell you specifically, or
b) has a producer that could communicate same.

Even if an amateur brings in some other artists' cd and says "I want to sound like that", that should be enough to get close (as close as the source material and talent could allow).

But yeah, if the rapper doesn't know what he wants, then you would be in a bad spot.

TheGreatOne
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by TheGreatOne » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:54 pm

I have to chime in with this: more than once I've turned down opportunities to do some rap/hip hop engineering for 1 basic reason. From the tiny amount of rap that I've heard, it just doesn't do a thing for me. I don't enjoy hearing it so why would I enjoy working on it? With that in mind, what could I possibly bring to a session involving rap? There is surely someone who could bring more to that session than me.
When in doubt, consult the manual

SaneMan
takin' a dinner break

Post by SaneMan » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:02 pm

Interesting topic. I can see how rappers get a bad name. When a good part of the genre is based on an image of being a gun toting hard ass who gets the money and pussy whatever it takes, you can't really blame people for expecting them to be anything but that. I'm far from racist or shallow minded or any of that bs, but you don't generally see people from any other genre present themselves in this fashion.

It may come off like I'm arguing against hip hop, but I'm not. I've never turned down a hip hop session(with the possible exception of scheduling conflicts) and hip hop has provided more than half my income in the last 5 years. But to be realistic, some statistics.

Number of hip-hop sessions where guns were present in the studio: at least 6
Number of sessions, all other music, where guns were present in studio: 0

Number of times the possibility of my personal safety being in danger has arose during a hip-hop session: more than once
All other sessions: Never

Now, I find in general that most talented rappers/hip hop producers(even the ones that carry guns) are cool, intelligent people, and NONE of them would have ever intentionally harmed/disrespected me. But I've also felt uncomfortable when the person giving you orders is packing heat, so I can understand when someone's weary of putting themselves back in a situation like that, which really has nothing to do with racism, it's more about a genre that tends to glorify things that you are uncomfortable with.

I guess the best policy(which would go for ANY person coming to your studio) would be to talk/meet with them prior to booking time and get a feel for who they are.

And as far as musicianship, I've had hip-hop producers blow my mind, and have been as talented as any member of any band I've ever worked with. I've also sat through many sessions where I set up a few DI's then sat there for a week while the artist rapped over pre made beats, which I'd rather do than struggle through some band that can't play.

Whats my point? Hmm... I don't know really. I guess I see both sides of the argument, but I don't think being reluctant to put yourself back in a situation where you've feared for the safety of yourself and/or your property makes you racist. Like I said at the beginning, some artists portray themselves in a manner you might be uncomfortable with. Well, don't work with them if thats the case.

Me, I'll work with anyone. Rent ain't cheap in LA
Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you. - Carl Jung