SPIDF - any real world uses?

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
markpar
george martin

Re: SPIDF - any real world uses?

Post by markpar » Wed May 21, 2003 9:44 pm

cassembler wrote:IIRC (and I'm likely dead wrong), there's also an optical SPDIF (a la lightpipe), but it only carries two channels as well... Mostly consumer users, yes?
Yeah, mostly consumer. But my Tascam CD writer, Finalize, M2000, Fireworx all have optical SP/DIF I/O.

-mark

SLiM BiLT
ass engineer

Post by SLiM BiLT » Thu May 22, 2003 8:49 am

I had a Sony Minidisk deck that had optical SPDIF in/outs. It was handy for transfering stuff from MD straight into my MOTU 828.

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Thu May 22, 2003 10:00 am

yeah, MD has light I/O and so does my freaky little Boss tracker. I'll have to track donw an interface for my 'pooter to dump stuff in there via light pipe.
boobs are life's fountain

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Thu May 22, 2003 1:55 pm

Finding a coax SPDIF cable longer than 10 feet isn't fun
yeah, but you can use a regular coax cable (like RG-6 or whatever) and make it as long as you like - use a BNC to RCA adapter if you have to.

soundispatch
ass engineer

Post by soundispatch » Thu May 22, 2003 10:46 pm

Professor wrote:Ooh, with a SPDIF out built right onto your computer you can actually pull DTS encoded tracks right off a CD or DVD onto your computer and fire them out the SPDIF port to an AV receiver and do surround sound presentations, etc. DTS tracks look just like CDA or WAV files just as long as you don't change or manipulate or compress them at all.
i kind of wonder if it?s as easy as all that. can spdif carry discrete multi-channel encoding? i know dolby surround matrix would probably be no problem but i suppose it depends on the audio drivers on the computer.

very soon, av receivers will be equipped with usb interfaces, as well as hdmi, so i wonder how long spdif will be applicable for running dvds out of your computer.

-cal

Katsu
audio school

Post by Katsu » Fri May 23, 2003 10:31 am

S/PDIF is normally stereo, but can carry DTS/AC3 signals.

These are 5.1 files encoded into a stereo stream, and sound like very nasty noise, until put through a decoder to turn them back into 5.1.

This is very handy for testing 5.1 mixes, as you can make a 5.1 mix, encode it to AC3, then cut it to a CD (cause it looks like a stereo 16 bit file).

If you take the S/PDIF out of the CD to a decoder, it turns back to 5.1.

So, a cheap and easy way to test 5.1 mixes without burning DVD's.

Just don't EVER try listening to the unencoded analog out of the CD, as its SOOO nasty, you will fear for your speakers.

Will
Katsu

PC Haiku :
Three things are certain:
Death, taxes, and lost data.
Guess which has occurred.

kylethompson
pushin' record

Post by kylethompson » Fri May 23, 2003 6:09 pm

Another use for SPDIF (at least for PT LE users like myelf) is as an aux i/o for an external reverb or delay equipped with digital i/o. Since this is the only input I don't use when tracking, I leave my reverb patched to the spdif i/o all the time.

Kyle

tubejay
pushin' record

Post by tubejay » Tue May 27, 2003 8:22 am

I used to have a digi001 and an Apogee Rosetta, and I used the SPDIF in to give me ten inputs, and it also allowed me to use the high quality Apogee Word Clock for everything. SPDIF is VERY useful, for a lot of applications. I just wish it was able to carry more data.