Restrict access to buy/sell/trade forum based on post count

comments or issues with this board

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Restrict access to buy/sell/trade forum based on post count

Post by Corey Y » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:40 am

I looked over the front page and didn't see any topics related to this, so I'm starting one.

I think it would be a benefit to forum members to restrict access to the buy/sell/trade forum based on post count. Since there's already a member status function, why not make buy/sell/trade only accessible or maybe even visible to those of a certain status? What count/status? I don't know, that's up to the owners/moderators. I'm just forwarding the idea. In the end I know it's caveat emptor here and TapeOp doesn't have any liability or obligation, but I think it would be in keeping with fostering that sense of trust and community that makes most of us feel secure in using the forum in the first place.

There are probably some members with a low post count (or whose first post is an ad) who are trustworthy and honest, but I don't think it's an unfair proposal.

I recently had my first negative experience with the buy/sell/trade forum. I've had several exchanges with other members since I joined this forum and they've all otherwise been positive, both buying and selling. There's a real sense of trust here because this is a more "specialized" forum and there's a community atmosphere. In this one negative case the member misrepresented what they were selling, lied about the issues when I communicated with them and then disappeared.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:02 am

I'm not sure if we need to systemize it, but I sure as heck do some research for any B/S/T opportunity:

* higher post count is good
* if I'm not familiar with the poster, I go through past posts to see
(a) if there have been other issues
(b) if the posts are helpful and not obnoxious, and
(c) [my bias] the posts are relatively well written.
* pricing is reasonable

Even though this is a pretty close-knit board, caveat emptor should always be front of mind.

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:29 am

Yeah, that's all reasonable advice in general for approaching person to person transactions online. In this particular case the member had a low post count, but all his posts were regarding modding the amp in the DIY forum and then selling it in the buy/sell/trade. Nothing fishy or weird, I don't think the guy is a professional scammer. I think he just made a very dishonest deal after he attempted something and failed, thinking he would just never return to the forum and I'd be S.O.L.

I take my lumps. Luckily I got the amp fixed by a tech who is a personal friend, so he didn't charge me an arm and a leg.

Aside from the points you made and the acceptance that any non face to face transaction has risk, I still think restricting access to the buy/sell/trade forum is a good idea. I don't think it hurts anyone to do it and there are a lot of other forums who do the same. They either make certain forums invisible to those under a particular status/post count or they require a small subscription (The Gear Page does the latter, only to post ads, not to respond). I don't think subscription would be a fair option given the spirit of TapeOp, but some sort of regulation could be positive.

At any rate, just expressing an idea. Since this is the forum for feedback.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:05 am

Corey Y wrote:I don't think it hurts anyone to do it and there are a lot of other forums who do the same. They either make certain forums invisible to those under a particular status/post count or they require a small subscription (The Gear Page does the latter, only to post ads, not to respond). I don't think subscription would be a fair option given the spirit of TapeOp, but some sort of regulation could be positive.

At any rate, just expressing an idea. Since this is the forum for feedback.
I don't think that either of those options is really fair. If I have something for sale on the forum, I want everyone to be able to see it, even people who aren't registered to post at all.

In the end, this is just about being extra cautious, and understanding that even with extra caution, sometimes people get burned with online transactions with strangers. I feel bad for what happened to you. But, sometimes regular posters on a messageboard have a hard time understanding how large the non-posting and even non-registered audience is for these forums. I don't think that limiting that exposure is a good idea. And, if some dude in Dallas, who knows nothing about music/gear, finds an old EMT plate in his basement, and then finds this forum on Google, I want him to be able to register and post here.

A rating system would be less self-defeating for the B/S/T forum. But, even rating systems aren't a foolproof means to avoid getting ripped off. If there was a perfect solution, then eBay would be doing it.

Post count totals are clearly posted on every post, by every member. If it's your own personal decision not to do business with someone with a low post count again, then that's cool. But, it doesn't seem like any more "rules" or "restrictions" are necessary. Everybody just be very careful!!

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:42 am

subatomic pieces wrote:Post count totals are clearly posted on every post, by every member. If it's your own personal decision not to do business with someone with a low post count again, then that's cool. But, it doesn't seem like any more "rules" or "restrictions" are necessary. Everybody just be very careful!!
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:02 am

there's no way to do this (as far as i know) without separating the B/S/T forum from the rest of the board. i don't think it matters, personally.

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:19 pm

As said above, the main thing is to SELF-edit whom you will deal with.

I have sold stuff here more to people with low post counts . . . but if I'm doing a swap, it will only be with a regular, someone I've often seen a few stools down in our little cyberbar.

The trouble with buying electronics is, it's not just about honesty, it's about knowledge. You can sort of tell how much a frequent poster understands about the gear they're selling.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra