"Preparing Drums". Thx for keeping it real, Chris!

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

DrummerMan
george martin

"Preparing Drums". Thx for keeping it real, Chris!

Post by DrummerMan » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:03 pm

Seriously, It's all helpful stuff and probably good information for those who don't know much at all about how drums work (and good reminders for those of us who should know), but I started getting a little antsy with the somewhat-rigid "do this, don't do this" approach that was starting to sneak in at points. Uh, I can't use a pillow or blanket in my kick? What if it sounds good like that... You mean, I've got to go through and stuff all my hardware full of foam? Shiiiiit.... Powerstroke 3 Head for kick batter and clear or black ambassador on front, 6 to 8 inch hole in front and Remo Falam Slam Kevlar pad to protect the head? Not always, or even often, not for me anyways, that's for damn sure...

I mean, all the tips are good to hear and know about for when the situation calls for them, but the Steve La Cerra section just left me with the notion that I'm supposed to feel like certain things are good and right, while others are bad and wrong, end of discussion, and that's just not the case, even when you ARE just going for a generic "good" sound.

Anyway, the point that I'm trying to get to (beyond my generally overheated whining [it's really hot over here today...]) is that I really appreciated Chris' Other Drum Tips. They totally brought the article back down to earth for me. "Whatever works for the job at hand". Isn't that kind of what we're all about here? "Why limit yourself?". Here, here!

OK, [/rant]...

PS - Oddly, I don't seem to make such a fuss about this kind of thing when it's not my main instrument. For example, the day I got a SansAmp Bass Driver DI and I could really easily dial in a generically good bass sound, I was a happy camper. Go figure... :roll:

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:02 am

It was nice to get two opinions, and it would have been fun to have even more. We've had a selection of drum things over the last few years, it's cool to see the differing opinions I think.
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:16 am

The main article was a good primer for non-experts, and it seemed to be directed maybe at engineers who don't have a lot of experience setting up drum kits, tuning heads, etc. Obviously, if you don't know, you're more likely to just mic a kit up "as is."

I appreciated Chris's take as well.