TapeOp.com IE support

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

TapeOp.com IE support

Post by Ryan Silva » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:12 pm

I understand that the IE support is coming, but the vibe I'm getting from the redirect page, seems a little well, judgmental. I enjoy the site, magazine, community, because of the inclusiveness of TapeOp philosophy.

Some people view at work, where IE is the only option. To openly admit that IE support was a "Lower Priority" well, it can leave a bad taste in your mouth.

Do what you will with the site I say, I personally like Firefox. I would just try to remember that your readers aren't the types that like to be told that what they use sucks. Whether it's a microphone, or an Internet browser. Somtimes that's all they have to work with.

Regards

Ryan Silva - Gigantic TapeOp fan

P.S. new site looks great!
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

Tim A
gettin' sounds

Post by Tim A » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:25 pm

whats the problem with IE? i use it at work. its mainly all good

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:40 pm

timadamson wrote:whats the problem with IE? i use it at work. its mainly all good
Not the Message Board, the New www.tapeop.com site.

Sorry for the confusion.
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:13 pm

Wow. I just checked it out in IE. First I was looking at the new page, then boom....

That's like mastering your recording so it sounded great on one fairly popular stereo system, but didn't make any sound at all, except a burst of static at the beginning on any other system. Sometimes you have to compromise your artistic vision due to the realities of the world we live in.

-- A HUGE tapeop fan.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:22 pm

I totally agree with the expressed sentiment; surfing with IE is kind of like going around in public wearing a hoodie with your name, social security number and credit card numbers (replete with confirmation and expiry) silk-screened on the back in red Helvetica.

Regardless of that, from a usability standpoint, it seems a little silly to chase off potential customers (and possibly advertisers) just because they have lousy taste in browsers.

I think a little javascript note at the top to the same effect would be just as effective.

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:57 pm

FireFox is pretty cool....

but I get tired of having to close it, and open IE explorer for half of the websites that dont work properly.

geez im a chevy guy, but if I owned a drive in resturant, car wash, garage... I sure wouldnt turn a way the fords :roll:
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:04 pm

our priority was to get the site up and running.

the problem with internet explorer is that it is not like all the other browsers. it does not render web-standard code the same and you have to basically hack your own code to make it work in IE. in addition, different versions of IE don't respond the same way. IE6 looks different than IE7 and IE8.

it's A LOT of work to make things work and look proper in IE. we had a lot of other, more important things to do before NAMM.

since our soft launch, there's about 12% of people using IE, so, yes, it was on the list of things to do, but, yes, not a priority because it's not like IE users couldn't get into the site by just using another browser - or being patient.

with that said, we will be allowing IE-users into the site hopefully by tonight.

keep in mind there's just 3 of us working on this whole thing...

thanks for your patience!

:) hillary