Mic review..AKG D112

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Al
moves faders with mind

Mic review..AKG D112

Post by Al » Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:49 am

I bought an AKG D112 around ten years ago because i wanted a mic for specific use on kick drum and bass cabs etc.

The mic in question which has picked up the nickname "The Egg"..because of it's obvious shape was not a disappointment.
It delivers a nice tight punchy sound, and is easy to work with, because i feel you dont have to work too hard to get a good sound from it...so in that respect it might just be a good first time buy for anyone looking for something solid and reliable that sounds nice to boot.

I've heard people say to me they dont like the way they sound because they are clicky /sticky and metal sounding!?, all i say to them is keep the thing AWAY from the beater and they dont sound like that at all!.

I find the best position for the mic is outside the kick drum. Where a nice full drum sound is obtained with a nice warmth/punch and pleasing light air around the top end is captured with nice detail, and like most other mics designed for this purpose, i feel that's the best place for them.

These also work well on bass cabs and certain peoples voices too!!, with a nice oldy worldy sound or "Vintage" if you like!. How can vintage actually have a sound though!??..."Just a thought!!" anyway....enough gibbering and on with it!.

While i know competion is fierce nowadays with so many microphones to choose from at an afforable price, and also buying a mic is like buying anything else!, it's all a matter of taste and what you require from it, i would still highly recommend the D112 to anyone, as i think they represent good value for money, and still a firm favourite of mine even ten years on.

Al

BradG
pushin' record

Re: Mic review..AKG D112

Post by BradG » Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:10 pm

I love the D112 but it IS a specialty mic at least in where it shines. As such, it is an excellent value. It is to the kick drum what a 421 is to toms. As for Al's choice of positioning, I agree although I've always found the rule to be true that, the better the drummer, the farther from the beater I can place my mic. My first choice would always be outside the drum (5' outside if it sounds good!), but often a weak drummer, combined with a sketchy-sounding drum makes it better to place the mic right in the middle of the kick drum.

Another great use for this mic is on the BACK of the speaker, in an open guitar cabinet, switched out of phase with your 57 on the front. Can you say BIG?

axial
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by axial » Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:34 pm

Big
don't worry we don't need to track, we'll fix it later!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:23 pm

The D112 is awesome in big kicks.

I always think it sounds a little clicky, then all teh guitar overdubs get done, then everything gets super huge, and there is the inside kick, still thwackin away on track 3 way over to the left there, just rockin with a little 1176 for good measure, or a lot, whatever.

I dont always love it, but sometimes, I love it.

They always work, too. always. If you cant make it happen with a D112, you are the problem. ( i am gonna catch hell for that, but I really feel like it is true!)

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:54 am

i've always gotten good results with it on my drums and bass amps...

Madness
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Madness » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:28 am

I've found this combo to be nice:

On a 20" Gretsch kick, an Audix D6 just inside a 6" hole in the front head, pointing towards the center of the batter head.

Positioned next to the Gretsch is a 26" ludwig BD with calf heads as a resonant drum. In front of that, I use the D112, picking up all the nice low boofiness of the resonant drum. Doing so, I'm able to blend the 'boink' of the kick drum and the 'fluff' of the resonant drum. Since my room is pretty small, I have to cover the front of the resonant drum with a blanket, or the D112 picks up everything else ad nauseum.

All this might be easier with a 22" kick- I might not feel the need for a second mic. The discussion really gets down to what heads are on the drum and how well they're tuned, not just mic or positioning. And can the drummer play or not!
Badaboom
Phil

Al
moves faders with mind

Post by Al » Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:39 am

BradG wrote:I love the D112 but it IS a specialty mic at least in where it shines. As such, it is an excellent value. It is to the kick drum what a 421 is to toms. As for Al's choice of positioning, I agree although I've always found the rule to be true that, the better the drummer, the farther from the beater I can place my mic. My first choice would always be outside the drum (5' outside if it sounds good!), but often a weak drummer, combined with a sketchy-sounding drum makes it better to place the mic right in the middle of the kick drum.

Another great use for this mic is on the BACK of the speaker, in an open guitar cabinet, switched out of phase with your 57 on the front. Can you say BIG?
Aah!.., another person favouring the old back of cab trick with the Egg.
It is a good technique, you get some nice bottom end stuff flying around in there, couple that with a 57 close up front, and a more distant or room LCD, tastey little recipe!...i never feel the need to reverse the phase of the d112 mic behind the cab though, as long as you place it close in, with the 57 an inch or less in front.

Al

keelah
audio school graduate

Post by keelah » Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:50 am

Madness wrote: All this might be easier with a 22" kick- I might not feel the need for a second mic. The discussion really gets down to what heads are on the drum and how well they're tuned, not just mic or positioning. And can the drummer play or not!
Badaboom
Phil
Your technique for getting a good resonating sound sounds interesting, but you're right, I think the 22" must be a lot easier. I'm a drummer in a hip hop band, getting into home recording. I play a 22" Ludwig Vistalite with an Aquarian head. For the back head, I put on an old head and cut a 2 or 3" ring around the edge with an Xacto. I originally did this so i could have the back rim on the drum with the effect of no back head, but I've found it resonates incredibly! When tuned well and played well, it almost sounds like a TR808! (note, this sound is achieved using the "heel down" technique, in other words the kick beater must bounce off of the drum head to allow the head to resonate. If you 'bury the beater' this results in a more typical, tight attack sound).

I'd really like to find out how to mic this sound effectively, and so far from the reviews, it sounds like I should move the mic back a few feet from the drum.

I'm also curious if anyone's tried the D112 for micing an upright bass? How'd it work, and what's the recommended placement?

Lastly, as any drummer will know, you almost always see the D112 when playing out live. I've had an occaisional good sound guy that was able to bring out the the resonant sound of my kick drum through the sound system, and it sounds great! The first guy who did it (Elbo Room, Chicago) placed the mic in the center of the kick, but off of the beater, with the mic turned to the side of the drum, and then tilted up 45 degrees. Others have achieved it with the mic placed inside the drum, facing the front head, but off of the beater (Sub-T & The Note, Chicago).
:::rock SAUCE!:::
-1Luv/no H8-

live band hip hop: www.small-change.net

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri Dec 26, 2003 12:26 pm

keelah wrote:
Madness wrote: I'm also curious if anyone's tried the D112 for micing an upright bass? How'd it work, and what's the recommended placement?

occaisional good sound guy that was able to bring out the the resonant sound of my kick drum through the sound system, and it sounds great! ).
d112 on upright..I'm sure you can get it to sound cool..but not natural..may be good for hiphop..

i bet those sound guys had your kick going through a compressor to bring out the ring..

campironwood
ass engineer

Post by campironwood » Fri Dec 26, 2003 3:30 pm

I've used a D112 on upright bass. Sounds pretty good off-axis near the f hole. Also been using this in conjunction with a pair of Stapes about 2 feet to each side of the bass, along with an SM7 near the other sound hole. Gotta watch out for phasing issues, but it is definitely the biggest bass / string sound I've gotten.

-Matt

Al
moves faders with mind

Post by Al » Sat Dec 27, 2003 7:05 am

I've also put the D112 to good use on saxaphone a couple of times as well, very nice!.

Al

dale116dot7
alignin' 24-trk

Post by dale116dot7 » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:03 pm

D112 on upright bass ... yes, all the time.

I use the D112 on upright for live applications, I place it somewhere between the treble F-hole and just above the bridge, pointing up, roughly towards the fingerboard. Set low EQ to about -6 on most PA boards and it's a pretty decent sound. Great for rockabilly slap and bluegrass style playing.

I use a C61 with a CK61-ULS capsule (yea it needs an adapter to make it work) or sometimes a C451B or Altec Coke Bottle for recording upright. I tried using D112 for recording upright but I preferred the sound of a SDC on it.

dictaphone
pushin' record

Post by dictaphone » Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:41 am

This mic is great on kick drum, but a fantastic use that I've found, but have never heard anyone mention is on a floor tom. It's got tons of low end and still the necessary amount of presence and attack.

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:47 am

I've always wanted to get like 15 of 'em and do a whole record with only D112s. Why? Why not?

CC
PP
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

bluestar03
studio intern

Post by bluestar03 » Sun Feb 29, 2004 3:42 pm

The D112. I've also used it on floor toms. Gives a nice low, airy tone to things. In conjunction with a large-diaphragm condenser you can get some excellent results on an upright, even a cello. I prefer a good condenser. Question. I've heard that the D112 doesn't like phantom power. I know that it won't hurt most dynamic mics but that the D112 can get zapped. Anyone? If your board distributes phantom power universally you might be careful. However, I've never witnessed this phenomena. Discuss.
"The key to knowledge is knowing that you know nothing."