Mic Stand Philosophy

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Wed May 11, 2011 6:37 am

WesleyScott wrote:
casey campbell wrote:(my vu meter is cooler than yours)
:worthy: It most certainly is...I have meter envy! Now I must go search the interwebs for a better profile pic!
actually what happened was that i thought, "whoa, that's a really cool avatar" when i saw yours. so, i thought...how cool would it be to have an old school vu meter.

anyway, don't change yours, your is cooler by a longshot...

oh yes - mic stands. hey i saw one a while back that looked really nicely built. it was made my hercules:

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Wed May 11, 2011 9:01 am

We use short booms with well-balanced weights for the mic attached.........have early Cine Colortran parts Image
whatever happened to ~ just push record......

Bob Olhsson
audio school graduate

Post by Bob Olhsson » Sun May 15, 2011 12:11 pm

cjogo wrote:We use short booms with well-balanced weights for the mic attached.........have early Cine Colortran parts [img]http://images.
My all time favorite is a K&M three-section combined with their two section boom. A bunch of those, two or three full size Atlas booms, a few sand bags for when I wanted to use a heavy mike on the K&M and I could always stop thinking about mike stands. 90% of the time that little three-section can put the mike right where I want it in a hurry.
Bob Olhsson
Bob's workroom 615 562-4346

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Sun May 15, 2011 12:51 pm

joel hamilton wrote:.....
If it keeps drooping, and you have to keep messing with it... its not a deal.
also, if the stand drops your 2000 dollar mic? also not a deal....
indeed, well said.

One thing you can do (while you save up for better stands) is to augment what you have with the following:

and

You can usually find them for $2-3 each at your local Goodwill. Just slide the stand through the middle of the weight - instant weighted base. And wrap the arm-weights on the other end of the boom to help stabilize.
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Sun May 15, 2011 10:53 pm

DR makes good stands. When you tighten them they stay where you last tightened it. On Stage stands will droop immediately after you tighten it They will usually drop about a half inch at right after you let go of the stand when trying to place the mic. It's really irritating.

jnTracks
steve albini likes it

Post by jnTracks » Mon May 16, 2011 3:34 am

casey campbell wrote: oh yes - mic stands. hey i saw one a while back that looked really nicely built. it was made my hercules:

oh my, i played a rock show where the venue had these instead of boom stands... so crappy, so useless. can't adjust them, they tip over and slip. terrible.

also, you guys keep talking about how crappy on-stage stands are but i've got a few of the new ones and find them very well built. they hold solid and don't slip with out so much pressure on the joints that you can't loosen it back up with just one hand.

i have the big rolling overhead boom that i posted earlier in the thread, (it's not made of plastic by the way) and it's quite robust. solid heavy metal, nice adjustable weights and toothed boom adjustment grips (like on drum hardware) so slipping/stripping isn't a possibility.

maybe they're not as good as the atlas that costs three times as much but for those of us who can't afford them, this is a great versatile option that won't drop your microphone or wear out after a year.

i realize i don't have the popular opinion here but i think you guys haven't seen the new stands from them. maybe there is a stigma attached to the brand, i think it's undeserved considering their latest product.
-Justin Newton
railroadavenuerecording.com what i like to do

llmonty
re-cappin' neve

Post by llmonty » Mon May 16, 2011 6:37 am

jnTracks wrote: also, you guys keep talking about how crappy on-stage stands are but i've got a few of the new ones and find them very well built. they hold solid and don't slip with out so much pressure on the joints that you can't loosen it back up with just one hand.

i have the big rolling overhead boom that i posted earlier in the thread, (it's not made of plastic by the way) and it's quite robust. solid heavy metal, nice adjustable weights and toothed boom adjustment grips (like on drum hardware) so slipping/stripping isn't a possibility.

maybe they're not as good as the atlas that costs three times as much but for those of us who can't afford them, this is a great versatile option that won't drop your microphone or wear out after a year.

i realize i don't have the popular opinion here but i think you guys haven't seen the new stands from them. maybe there is a stigma attached to the brand, i think it's undeserved considering their latest product.
I am looking at my on-stage stand now that I got used for like $30. Same one - huge boom with heavy baseplate, casters, heavy counter weight, 3 piece boom - including a short one on the end. It has 3 mics with latch lake xtra booms, and a pop filter hanging off of it. no problems. I have 2 of these and use them for drums all the time - hanging a bunch of the xtra booms off of them. Super stable - and most of the mics are being held by the xtra booms - though I have had no issues with the stock boom sagging. Worst part about them is the round knob/crank for adjusting. doesn't give you as much torque - and it is plastic. I also have a quik lok which is very similar with a heavy tripod base. Better clutch, cheaper casters. Pretty similar overall, but harder to position with the tripod base - so i use it for room mics, etc. I think they are great values - especially used in combo with the xtra booms.
richmond is a really cool town - supafuzz