Web Site Gear List -- Does It Matter?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:23 am

I only know that when I check out some of you guys' sites, I definitely read 'em. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

jhamburg
audio school graduate

Post by jhamburg » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:39 am

it totally varies for me.

most of my clients are word of mouth and they don't care as long as I tell them I can get them what they want/need

outside engineers care for the same reason

for other bookings it does indeed matter. It's mutually assured gear destruction out there.

joel

fuzz
takin' a dinner break

Post by fuzz » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:59 am

Although, we've been dragging our feet with the website, I do think equipment lists on the site and PDFs are an excellent resource. Particularly the multi-track situation (version of what, 2", 1", 1/2" decks) and mic list.

One thing I will say is that it drives me crazy when folks list their "best" gear first (ie the mic list starts with N, moves to A, etc.) If this is the case I tend to disregard the list entirely since its indicated that I only need to look at the top of the list, which in no way is true.

jkelly222
gettin' sounds

Post by jkelly222 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:41 pm

I only read your initial post and I skimmed over the responses but I wanted to throw out my opinion because for the last month I've been looking at studio's all over NYC trying to find the right place to make my next record.

Yes, the equipment list is crucial and it's the first thing I look at. In addition to a great instrument list I need to see some quality microphones, some great pre's, great monitors, mixing boards, the works. It's all very important to me and plays a huge factor in my decision.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:58 pm

WHat Roscoe said.
I read the lists to see what (if anything) i am going to need to bring.

frans_13
takin' a dinner break

Post by frans_13 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:32 am

One of the most sought after items (regarding musicians) is my pinup calendar... the musicians mostly don't care too much what gear is there, besides maybe the '70 Hiwatt 103DR, the engineers look for size/layout/acoustics, mics and preamps.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:46 pm

The Room/ Vibe is much more important > with our clients :: Image

The gear is way second choice ..I don't think racks of Behringer ~ Alesis ~ Roland = draws them in,

whatever happened to ~ just push record......

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:39 pm

My biggest pet peeve with studio websites is not being able to tell if they are still in business... There are a ton of sites that have pictures of client-less rooms and an outdated (I'm hoping anyway...) gear list. But I personally think that the blog format is appealing to have current and regularly updated with pictures so prospective clients think you are busy (and therefore worth checking out). Maybe every time you buy a cool toy add a little blurb about what it means to clients etc...

I would compare to decent restaurants. What do you think of a restaurant which is regularly not busy, doesn't run specials, and doesn't feature new menu items? Most people are probably visiting your studio for the first time from the convenience of their computer/smart phone...a relatively active blog makes you look busy.

Then I would worry about a gear list. I agree that gear is not everything but the level of gear you own to some extent tells me a few things: 1. How seriously you take your business/hobby. 2. How busy you are (not necessarily if you have credit problems I guess...) 3. What level of clients you attract. 4. And what differentiates your rack from mine or competitive studios.

Studio sites without a gear list sometimes to me look like they avoid it because they are embarrassed about it (this goes with when they've got unclear pictures as well!).

In your gear list mentioning computer and software revisions while perhaps impressive at the time of updating your website, frequently by the time I get to your site are lackluster...for example many sites still say they are on a dual core Mac G5 with Pro Tools 7 and HD3. While I don't think that falls into the embarrassing category it makes me question whether you are still in business or if you are burnt by the economy, etc.... So if it were me I'd avoid mentioning the revisions and computer model numbers just because they get out of date so fast. Just saying your on a Mac Pro with Pro Tools HD3 reads much better.

And finally I believe it is unwise to spend the time and money to build a flash website or any other huge bandwidth hog because many folks check stuff out on their phones...and I'll be honest 75% of the time if I land on a site that won't load on my phone I don't remember or lose interest by the time I get to my desktop.