Uh.... changed screen names?

comments or issues with this board

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

chris harris
speech impediment

Uh.... changed screen names?

Post by chris harris » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:14 pm

I'm pretty sure that thread didn't exist to inform the admins of screen name changes, but instead to inform other members of the community that the person they used to know as "X" is now posting under the name "Y".

No reason to lock the thread down. It's a useful reference for people who've posted here for a while and who would like to keep up with who's who.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Uh.... changed screen names?

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:46 am

chris harris wrote:I'm pretty sure that thread didn't exist to inform the admins of screen name changes, but instead to inform other members of the community that the person they used to know as "X" is now posting under the name "Y".

No reason to lock the thread down. It's a useful reference for people who've posted here for a while and who would like to keep up with who's who.
I'm putting my old alias on my signature... maybe that will help archaelogists many moons from now...
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:00 pm

I agree (probably first time with the artist formerly known as Subatomic Pieces) that allowing people to list their name changes helps make TOMB a more cohesive community. I didn't really see a need to lock that thread. I guess if you're anxious to stamp out even the first signs of OT behavior it makes sense on some level, but then why have a "TOMB" sub-board?
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:39 am

sorry if i offended by locking the thread. it just seems unnecessary to me to make a separate thread saying 'hey i've changed my name' when most people won't even see it or read it.
why not just say that you changed your name in the next post you make to another forum...?
i would understand if we were a community of 100 or something but it's much larger. ya know?

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:54 am

I was not offended. I just wanted you to know that I, as a regular user, found the post helpful in keeping track of the identity of other regular users. A regular user might change their screen name, and then proceed to only post in threads that don't interest me for weeks. I might not catch their "oh, btw, I changed my name"....

I also was puzzled by the locking of the thread because it broke no forum rules, was not off topic for the forum that it was posted in, and it was something that some users clearly found helpful.

I assumed it was because you mistakenly thought that the OP was posting there to alert YOU as Admin. that they had changed their screen name. You implied that when, before locking the thread, you advised everyone that it was not necessary to notify you of screen name changes.

Sorry if I offended you by questioning your moderation. This message board may have a giant database of registered users. But, active users, or regulars who post here frequently and provide the content that attracts the massive crowd of lurkers, probably number somewhere at or near 100. I feel like I know a lot of the people here who post regularly. And, that ongoing thread was useful to find out who's who among several users who had recently decided to start using their real names. I guess we CAN just sleuth it out and connect the dots. But, that's not what I want to spend my time here doing.

Unless you take the time to get to know who you're accepting written, practically anonymous advice from on message boards, the info you get is useless.

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:56 am

would you think a sticky in this forum (the "tomb" forum) for user name changes would be helpful?
then people could inform others about their name changes but keep it in one place instead of a random post here or there?

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:39 pm

Definitely!

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:29 pm

done.
http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?p=644603

please encourage people to post there instead of their own threads. thanks
:)

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:55 pm

Hillary you are too kind. :wink:
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:24 pm

Electro-Voice 664 wrote:Hillary you are too kind. :wink:

+1 Seriously. Lock whatever the fuck you want.

Edit: It's been pointed out to me, (most rudely) that I probably should have added ", but thanks for reversing your position." to this last post. I don't know why I thought that was clear.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.