Advice needed on my Mic Closet, what am I missing????

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Do I have toooo many mics???

YES!
45%
NO!
No votes
There's Never Too Many or Enough!
55%

Total votes: 11

jdmcgee
gimme a little kick & snare

Advice needed on my Mic Closet, what am I missing????

Post by jdmcgee » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:38 pm

Here's a list of all my mics. Just curious if anyone has an opinion of what I might be missing?

LARGE DIAPHRAGM CONDENSERS

Advanced Audio CM-47 TUBE - (9 Patterns w/ Dual-Diaphragms, Neumann U47 Copy [U47 Capsule, BV8 Transformer, 6072A Tube, etc.)

CAD Trion 8000 TUBE - (Cardioid, Figure-8 & Omni Patterns w/ Dual-Diaphragms, Classic ?Bottle? Design [Upgraded w/ NOS Tube])

Audio-Technica AT4033 - (Cardioid Pattern, ?Studio-Standard? Vocal Mic: Original Model, NOT Re-Issue w/ 80Hz Hi-Pass Filter, 10dB Pad)

BLUE Bluebird - (Cardioid Pattern w/ Classic ?Bottle? Design, Versatile Mic Due to somewhat Uncolored & Neutral Sound)

BLUE 8-Ball - On the way

RODE NT1-A - (Cardioid Pattern, Windscreen Modified, A Recent ?Studio-Standard? Vocal Mic, Self-Noise: <5db)

MXL V88 - (Cardioid Pattern, Warm & Forward Sounding, Similar to Response of Shotgun Mic for VoiceOver)

CAD M-179 - (Continuously Variable Patterns w/ Dual-Diaphragms, 20db Pad, High-Pass Filter [Often Called ?Poor Man?s AKG 414?]) X 2

Sterling ST51 - (Cardioid Pattern, K67-style Capsule, ?Airy & Crisp? Presence Peak at 6kHz-8kHz To Cut Through a Mix)

Nady SCM-900 - (Cardioid Pattern, High-Pass Filter, Original Version WITH Output Transformer - WARM & MURKY)

Nady SPC-10 - (Cardioid Pattern, Handheld-Style Housing, 1? Large Mylar Gold-Sputtered Diaphragm [w/ High-Pass Filter])

SMALL DIAPHRAGM CONDENSERS

MXL 604 - (Cardioid & Omni Pattern, 22mm Interchangeable Capsules, Pencil Style [Circuit Modified for Smoother Highs]) X 2

MXL 990 - (Cardioid Pattern, Side-Address 22mm Gold Sputtered Diaphragm [Circuit Modified for Smoother Highs]) X 2

Audio-Technica DR-HX1 - (Cardioid Pattern, Matched Pair for Use in Stereo Configurations [Primarily Designed for Drum Overheads]) X 2

Crown PZM-180 - (Hemispherical [Half-Omni] Pattern, PZM {Pressure Zone Microphone} Boundary Microphone [For Stand, Wall, Floor or Handheld Use])

HTDZ HT-320A - (Hyper-Cardioid Pattern, Shotgun w/ 2 Sensitivity Settings [Modified to run from 9v battery for Better Performance])

Radio Shack Model# 33-3013 - (Omni Pattern, Tie-Clip Lavaliere style w/ Power/Breakout Box [Modified to run from 9v battery for Better Performance])

Behringer ECM8000 - (Omni Pattern, Ultra-Linear Measurement Mic [Upgraded w/ Linkwitz Modded Panasonic WM-61AY Capsule for Better Performance])

PAN/JAD [Custom Made from Tape/Op book] - (Omni Pattern, [w/ Linkwitz Modded Panasonic WM-61AY] Capsule Mounted in Standard Male XLR Plug, [Simple & Quiet Custom Circuit in Power/Breakout Box]) X 4

DYNAMIC

Electro-Voice RE20 - (Cardioid Pattern, Large Diaphragm w/ ?Variable-D? Porting to Minimize Proximity Effect)

Heil PR-40 - (Cardioid Pattern, Large Diaphragm, Extremely Wide ?Condenser-Like? Frequency Response)

BLUE Ball - (Cardioid Pattern, Phantom-Powered, Sphere Shaped [Constant 50 Ohm Impedance Load for More ?Open & Full? Sound])

GLS Audio ES-57 - (Cardioid Pattern, Shure SM57 Copy [Many Believe GLS to be Superior to Shure, Designed for Guitar Cabs, Drums & Vocals]) X 3

GLS Audio ES-58 - (Cardioid Pattern, Shure SM58 Copy [Many Believe GLS to be Superior to Shure, Designed Primarily for Live Vocals])

CLASSIC VM-555 - (Super-Cardioid Pattern, Shure 55SH Copy [Better Frequency Response & Higher Output than Shure 55SH])

Telex 750HL - (Omni Pattern, Dual Impedance Desktop Paging Mic w/ Locking Push-To-Talk Bar)

Oktava MD-380A - (Cardioid Pattern, Russian-Made, designed for Voice & Sound Recording [NOS - Built in 1991])

Sony F-96 - (Omni Pattern, Japan-Made, Low Imp., Terminates to 1&#8260;8? TS Connector [Manufactured in Late 1960?s]) X 2

Sony F-98 - (Cardioid Pattern, Japan-Made, Low Imp., Terminates to 1&#8260;8? TS Connector [Manufactured in Late 1960?s]) X 2

RIBBON

KCM R-25 - (Figure-8 Pattern, ?Long Ribbon [51 mm] / Short Path? Motor Design [Exact Same Mic as Nady RSM-1])

Nady RSM-5 - (Figure-8 Pattern, ?Medium Ribbon [45 mm] / Long Path? Motor Design, Lollipop-Style Housing)

CAD Trion 7000 - (Figure-8 Pattern, ?Medium Dual-Ribbon [35 mm] / Long Path? Motor Design, Ball-Style Housing)

Any opinions or suggestions of what I might need to round out my collection would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks for the eye time, jd

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:39 am

I noticed you don't have an e602. I'm loving mine on kick. Also, I'm not sure I'm seeing any pairs of mics. Do you have a pair of SDC's and LDC's? I like having that option for OH's and other things. It seems like you're ready for a pair of grade A mics. I don't see too many top tier mics. If I were you, I might be thinking about a pair of ribbons a pair of SDC's and a pair of LDC's.

Think about all the instruments you record on a regular basis. Do you have a mic that just knocks your socks off for each one? Then you're set.

Or, what's the thing that usually comes out the worst when you record it? What would make it better? Maybe you need a DI for bass, or a good tracking comp? Or EQ? I don't fucking know.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:51 am

I would suggest getting a couple of higher quality mics definitely. I'd also look at what you are plugging them into for room for improvement...preamps/etc. I am a big fan of KSM44s if you don't want to spend Neumann money... I think that the KSM44 is fantastic on just about everything.. vocals, guitars, drums.... Buy a pair of those and I bet you'd be pretty happy.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:20 am

Are you recording bands or just yourself (or other solo artist) and building up tracks one at a time? If you're recording bands, do you have enough mics to put the ideal mic on each source? ie: I love the re20 on kick but also on bass and scratch vocals. Where do I use it in this session? Do I have anything else in the locker that will do a good job on the other 2 sources?
In band tracking situations I feel like you can never have enough good full freq dynamic mics. I'm talking M88s, RE20s, 421 & 441s, SM7s and ribbons. I could (and have) happily make a whole record without ever plugging in a condenser mic.

If you're only tracking one source at a time I'd agree with the above replies and suggest looking at something high end or at matched pairs.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:31 am

Hi JD,

I voted you have too many mics.
If I were you I would start by replacing the microphones that can be replaced with better quality ones.Start by upgrading one LDC tube mic. Pelusos are a good brand to look at.Then get a Pair of SDC of higher quality. AKG, Neumann are good to look at for a good pair.After that, really look at what techniques you like to use, and where the deficiencies lie in the mics you already have.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:40 am

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:Are you recording bands or just yourself (or other solo artist) and building up tracks one at a time? If you're recording bands, do you have enough mics to put the ideal mic on each source? ie: I love the re20 on kick but also on bass and scratch vocals. Where do I use it in this session? Do I have anything else in the locker that will do a good job on the other 2 sources?
In band tracking situations I feel like you can never have enough good full freq dynamic mics. I'm talking M88s, RE20s, 421 & 441s, SM7s and ribbons. I could (and have) happily make a whole record without ever plugging in a condenser mic.

If you're only tracking one source at a time I'd agree with the above replies and suggest looking at something high end or at matched pairs.
This

jdmcgee

Post by jdmcgee » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:18 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:Hi JD,

I voted you have too many mics.
If I were you I would start by replacing the microphones that can be replaced with better quality ones.Start by upgrading one LDC tube mic. Pelusos are a good brand to look at.
The Advanced Audio CM-47 is a hand-wired tube mic with a Peluso Capsule... It is my "better quality" mic. It's one of the best vocal mics I've ever heard.

Please keep in mind that nearly all the electronics in all of my mics have been modded. Transformers replaced here and there... capsules have been replaced or retensioned here and there... Ribbons replaced or re-tensioned here and there.

As far as as Pre's go:
Groove Tubes MP1
2 totally modded Golden Age PRE-73s
Totally modded & full voltage Bellari RP503 & MP105
JoeMeek threeQ
Studio Projects VTB1
ART DPSII
(last 2 used mainly for DIs)

I (& many other people) like the sounds I get with my mics & pres.

I guess I do need to get some more MD421s... I got rid of the 2 I had because I just think they sound, for lack of a better word, blah on everything except radio VO.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:36 am

jdmcgee wrote:The Advanced Audio CM-47 is a hand-wired tube mic with a Peluso Capsule... It is my "better quality" mic. It's one of the best vocal mics I've ever heard.

Please keep in mind that nearly all the electronics in all of my mics have been modded. Transformers replaced here and there... capsules have been replaced or retensioned here and there... Ribbons replaced or re-tensioned here and there.

As far as as Pre's go:
Groove Tubes MP1
2 totally modded Golden Age PRE-73s
Totally modded & full voltage Bellari RP503 & MP105
JoeMeek threeQ
Studio Projects VTB1
ART DPSII
(last 2 used mainly for DIs)

I (& many other people) like the sounds I get with my mics & pres.

I guess I do need to get some more MD421s... I got rid of the 2 I had because I just think they sound, for lack of a better word, blah on everything except radio VO.
I guess you answered your own question...
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

jdmcgee

Post by jdmcgee » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:05 pm

Nick Sevilla wrote:
I guess the question I'm asking more than anything is, can anyone think of anything I could benefit from that I don't have in the closet already...

Points taken:

More high dollar mics - I personally think this is a semi-valid point except for the fact that I've used a number of expensive mics (Neumann, AKG & others) in the past that just plain sucked. Is spending more money on a mic a guarantee that it's going to be amazing, no. Is there a better chance of it being amazing, yes! but from a Neumann rep in my old Guitar Center days, "About 95% of a High-End mic's price is it's name & heritage. A lot of producers & studio owners think of them like status symbols... you have to have them to get the big clients.". I never was much for status symbols... I just like good sound.

Plus, I don't mind "re-engineering" the cheaper mics. It's getting easier & easier to take a $200-$400 mic, $200-$400 in parts & get $2000-$3000 (or more) sounding mic. Some people out there consider it to be polishing turds but I disagree and so do a lot of other people's ears.

MD421 - I concur that I need to get a couple again just in case somebody asks for them and plus, they are very predictable.

SM7 - I've been looking for a good deal on one (or 2) of these for the past few weeks... & still am

Outboard Gear (i.e. mic Pre's) & Room Acoustics - I 100% agree that these are as important (if not, at times, more important) than the mics you're using. I'm very happy with my signal chain & my room's sound.

Any more ideas?

Thanks, jd

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:52 pm

When I suggested better quality mics I didn't realize that you'd modded a lot of them to suit your tastes. I also didn't see all those "x2" and "x4" s.

I think you've answered your own question.

I'm always leery of people (myself included) saying "I've got some money, what should I spend it on?" You either know, or you don't. We certainly don't know better than you. If you haven't said to yourself, "man, I wish I had ________." then don't buy ________.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

jdmcgee

Post by jdmcgee » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:26 pm

Snarl 12/8 wrote:When I suggested better quality mics I didn't realize that you'd modded a lot of them to suit your tastes. I also didn't see all those "x2" and "x4" s.

I think you've answered your own question.

I'm always leery of people (myself included) saying "I've got some money, what should I spend it on?" You either know, or you don't. We certainly don't know better than you. If you haven't said to yourself, "man, I wish I had ________." then don't buy ________.
Darn good answer. Nuff said.

Thanks, jd

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:33 pm

jdmcgee wrote:
I just did a record where the vocals were tracked live in the same room as the band. I ended up using a 421 and was quite happy with the results. There were other choices but they all did a better job as "extra room mic" than I needed. The 421 rejected most of the bleed.
It might not have been 100% the best mic for the singers voice but it was 100% the right mic for the situation.

alcoyot
audio school graduate

Post by alcoyot » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:08 pm

Wow, I can't say I personally would buy any of those mics listed. What has your decision making process been so far as to whether you should purchase. Actually I do have a gls audio 57. Bargain at 30$!

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:35 pm

What needs to sound better on your recordings?

What are you hearing?

What is working in your room- like right now, what is satisfying?

I think everybody's studio is a very complex system that they interact with. Anyone with a variety of mics is going to make educated guesses for what to put on which instrument. Sometimes things don't sound right and you switch. Sometimes you try a different option and get excited.

Every once in a while you think of something you want for your guitar tracks, or drum sounds, or vocals or whatever. Or maybe you just think you would like a new variable in the system.

How many mics sit in the closet most of the time in your studio? What would "better" sound like on your last few recordings?

I don't mean to answer a question, with questions, but the more audio work I do the less I can imagine myself saying "Hey guys, what do I need, in general."

Justin Foley
takin' a dinner break

Post by Justin Foley » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:38 pm

jdmcgee wrote:
Nick Sevilla wrote:
I guess the question I'm asking more than anything is, can anyone think of anything I could benefit from that I don't have in the closet already...

Points taken:

More high dollar mics - I personally think this is a semi-valid point except for the fact that I've used a number of expensive mics (Neumann, AKG & others) in the past that just plain sucked. Is spending more money on a mic a guarantee that it's going to be amazing, no. Is there a better chance of it being amazing, yes! but from a Neumann rep in my old Guitar Center days, "About 95% of a High-End mic's price is it's name & heritage. A lot of producers & studio owners think of them like status symbols... you have to have them to get the big clients.". I never was much for status symbols... I just like good sound.

Plus, I don't mind "re-engineering" the cheaper mics. It's getting easier & easier to take a $200-$400 mic, $200-$400 in parts & get $2000-$3000 (or more) sounding mic. Some people out there consider it to be polishing turds but I disagree and so do a lot of other people's ears.

MD421 - I concur that I need to get a couple again just in case somebody asks for them and plus, they are very predictable.

SM7 - I've been looking for a good deal on one (or 2) of these for the past few weeks... & still am

Outboard Gear (i.e. mic Pre's) & Room Acoustics - I 100% agree that these are as important (if not, at times, more important) than the mics you're using. I'm very happy with my signal chain & my room's sound.

Any more ideas?

Thanks, jd
I don't really understand the point of your post.

You asked for some advice, you got some and you've responded by saying that you don't think you need that advice. It seems to me you're happy getting low to low/mid level mics and modding them so that you and a lot of other people's ears are satisfied.

The Neumann rep was right about some mics (I guess) but wrong about others. It's just foolish to suggest that that 95% of the price of an expensive microphone is unwarranted. You yourself say that there's evidence of higher quality in a $3000 mic than in an unmodded cheap one.

So, I can think of a few mics that I would like to have in the $700-$1200 range but I'm not sure that'd satisfy you. Why not just keep getting cheapo mics, fixing them to your satisfaction and then enjoying the results?

= Justin

PS - Really, your post is confusing. You say you want to get an MD 421 because people expect them. But you also say you don't care what client expectations are because you don't care about status symbols and only like good sound.