PDF's of unavailable magazines?

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

recall
alignin' 24-trk

PDF's of unavailable magazines?

Post by recall » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:03 am

Hi There,

I wonder if you have any plans of releasing pdf's of unavailable mags, be it paid or free?

I am currently working with an artist whose last album was recorded by Mark Nevers. I am a longtime fan of his and remember reading an excellent interview with him in issue 21. However I have lost issue 21. I spent much of the weekend searching the house for it, and going through a stack of all my old Tape Ops. I think I must have left it in a studio somewhere.

Anyway I have tried to buy the issue again via Tone vendor and Quimby's but they are out of stock.

I also note that he is not featured in Vol 2of the Tape Op book. I would happily pay for a pdf of this interview were you to make it available. Sound On Sound has a great feature in this regard.

Either way I really want to get hold of this specific interview.

Thanks

Iwan

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:30 am

There is definitely demand for this, take note Larry. When I mention something about an old article in a post here, I sometimes get a request for a scan of it from some random lurker who wants to read the article. I have also seen scanned copies of articles making the rounds at blogspot on occasion.

I suggested this years ago and here I suggest it again: How about a DVD of all the back issues. Surely some intern or lackey would be willing to do all the scanning. New Yorker did this a few years ago.

TapeOpAl
TapeOp Family
TapeOp Family

Post by TapeOpAl » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:42 pm

Issue 21 will be in Vol III which is in the works! I think PDFs are a possibility in the future but that's not necessarily the 'official' word. I dont think we'd scan the pages though, not that the logistics particularly matter, but FYI we make the mag on computers and send PDFs to the printer so software versions (for the early issues) allowing - it should be possible to get them done. Scott McChane (our new assistant gear reviews editor and long time prepress guy) is no doubt dreading the day we give him this job!

gregovertone
takin' a dinner break

Post by gregovertone » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:40 pm

sweet.

that would be awesome for newbs like me.

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:27 pm

There are various plans, as well as the obvious book "reprints". Mostly we'd prefer to keep the book/magazine printed nature intact more than having digital versions. But we may do something with that idea.

I have to admit we have a lot on our plate at most times, with the issues, the UK issues, the books and conferences we need to attend. It's pretty crazy.
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

recall
alignin' 24-trk

Post by recall » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:11 am

I understand the volume of work you guys go through to get the mag to us. I also prefer holding a "real" magazine in my hand, its just that when you can't find something its a handy resource to be able to just buy the article you want.

Anyone wish to sell me an old issue 21?

Cheers

Iwan

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:23 am

British people aren't getting a cooler version of TapeOp, are they?

"I just read it in the new TapeOp!"
"The domestic or UK version?"
"The US one."
"Oh."

:)
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:16 am

AstroDan wrote:British people aren't getting a cooler version of TapeOp, are they?

"The US one."
"Oh."

No, since TapeOp was in the US first, it won't be that way. If it'd started in the UK, the stories and acting would be better than the US version but the production values wouldn't be quite as good.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:04 pm

dwlb wrote:
AstroDan wrote:British people aren't getting a cooler version of TapeOp, are they?

"The US one."
"Oh."

No, since TapeOp was in the US first, it won't be that way. If it'd started in the UK, the stories and acting would be better than the US version but the production values wouldn't be quite as good.
That, and where we say "monitor" they would say "foldback"; also L and R would be reversed on stereo drum busses.

recall
alignin' 24-trk

Post by recall » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:04 pm

Is anyone able to sort me out with a scan of this then? I have tried every avenue of getting another copy of issue 21. I will buy the book when it comes out but I'm really, really interested in revisiting this interview.

I would never ask for a scan if the magazine were available to buy through normal avenues.

recall
alignin' 24-trk

Post by recall » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:07 pm

Just wondering if I may be able to get in touch with the original author of the Nevers piece? I'm trying an trying to get a back issue but haven't been able to find one as yet.

recall
alignin' 24-trk

Post by recall » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:38 pm

found!!

recall
alignin' 24-trk

Post by recall » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:13 pm

Hello,

Still looking for this. Doesn't appear to be in VOL II of the Tape Op book. Anyone care to help me out?

The HD on which I kept all my music related articles has died, and diskwarrior has been unable to save the day.