not sure where to put this but i think everyone should see

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:18 pm

Brian wrote: That's one hell of an assumption. Please elaborate on what you mean by that last statement.
Well, it wasn't an assumption, it was speculation. I think by-and-large, ours is not a music making or music participating culture, it's a music consumption culture. I would speculate that if you came from a music-making culture, you might have a more honest view of your abilities; hence, you might not think the world needs to hear you. Just thinking out loud really, no reason to get riled eh?

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:07 pm

comfortstarr wrote:
Brian wrote: That's one hell of an assumption. Please elaborate on what you mean by that last statement.
Well, it wasn't an assumption, it was speculation. I think by-and-large, ours is not a music making or music participating culture, it's a music consumption culture. I would speculate that if you came from a music-making culture, you might have a more honest view of your abilities; hence, you might not think the world needs to hear you. Just thinking out loud really, no reason to get riled eh?
I wasn't riled, I just didn't know what you meant and asked for clarification. The clarification is an interesting and probably pretty accurate assessment.
Harumph!

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Post by Dakota » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:39 pm

Hammer sandwich. For peanuts.

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:51 pm

Dakota wrote:Hammer sandwich. For peanuts.
:lol:
Harumph!

-3db
gettin' sounds

Post by -3db » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:10 pm

You know everybody with a computer is a producer, film maker, graphic artist, or whatever.

The only thing that keeps nagging me is that my next song that I spent hours, days agonizing over and picking over every bit, chances are getting better every day that someone is going to come along and say, they did that already because it sounds like their stuff.

I afraid that even though I never heard of them or their stuff, they did it before me and have a case.

Differentiation is getting tougher
Um excuse me, these headphones aren't working...

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:29 pm

Best you can do is do your best and hope for the best, i don't think someone with similar sounding stuff that hasn't done their best is competition for someone who knows how to "get that energy on tape" er, "the recording".

If it helps, all the young kids in my semi-redneck neighborhood in Memphis that actually play pretty well are all about the Zeppelin and Stones. Some are Beatles and some are Pantera, they all like Metallica, it's gonna turn out fine.
Harumph!

-3db
gettin' sounds

Post by -3db » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:38 pm

Well you've got a good point.

Lots of talented artists attempt to save some bucks by doing it on their own or as much as possible. But people are deciding on what they can do at home and what they need to do in a studio. Almost everyone comes in with sessions that they either need touching up or add tracks as missing pieces.

One guy recently was pumped about his new computer and PT9, but asked me to look at it because something wasn't right. Well I looked at his session and wow boy oh boy what a mess! I helped him get back on track, but he really is a musician, not an engineer nor even a computer person.

I've heard plenty of recordings that just make me cringe. How many do it yourselfers actually know how to use a compressor. Or even have access to a good one.
Um excuse me, these headphones aren't working...