george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:59 pm

I should say, "if I really appreciate someone's work AND can afford it..."
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

junomat
re-cappin' neve

Post by junomat » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:01 am

I've had a few clients get me a nice Kentucky Bourbon when the record is completed. I feel like that gesture is more meaningful.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:07 pm

Back when I was mostly assisting at bigger studios and working live sound at small clubs, I would get a lot of tips. I never expected them as a standard thing, but it seemed to happen quite a bit. If I had to guess, I'd say maybe 20-25% of the time?

(I'm not sure if that's normal, or if I was just lucky enough to end up working at a bunch of places that had really nice clients.)

Those tips would range anywhere from $20-$100 with a mode of about $40. When I was mostly working those jobs, it was definitely appreciated when it happened.

I've never gotten a cash tip as the chief engineer on a studio project, and would be surprised by it. A lot of clients do seem to take it on themselves to buy lunch though. I've never seen that as an expectation either, but I'm definitely a fan of the practice when it happens! (Anyone who knows me knows that free food is the fastest way to winning my heart.) I'd never suggest that a client pay for lunch, but I'd say it occurs more than 50% percent of the time anyway.

To be honest, if I was the main engineer on a project, I might even get a little "offended" at a monetary tip, and would probably refuse it. Gifts of second-hand books, useless trinkets and heartfelt memorabilia are more than welcome though. Also: food. :) But I think I already mentioned that.

Beat Poet
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Beat Poet » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:48 pm

Getting a good testimonial is important for me!

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:32 pm

I think I've been getting tipped in IEC cables, I've got a bunch of them somehow..

I don't charge much. I work my ass off and usually put in a lot of unpaid hours to keep the project at the already low budget agreed on. Bands notice this and are extremely grateful. I get tipped in beer, food, and at times cash when the band is able to scrape another 40-100 together, knowing i likely gave them a $1500 recording for $500.

I'm not offended at all to any of these.. It all comes around goes around... I provide good/expensive coffee at my place cause i'm a coffee snob, that stuff gets sucked down really quick, I always have good other things if you're into that thing as well, and many times i'll end up buying snacks to share with everyone, cause its just not recording with some chips and salsa or hummus and pita chips.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:38 pm

trodden wrote:I think I've been getting tipped in IEC cables, I've got a bunch of them somehow..
Haha. Yes. That explains everything for me too.