Ethics question...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:56 pm

I don't know, in that he said there is "several records" in the past.

Also, we all hope to be a great success one day, and many great successes have a back story; I know a few tales myself as prob'ly do y'all.

All of that aside, whatever the finances, IMNSHO the OP shouldn't take the risk.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:26 pm

I had a similar thing happen years ago. I told both parties that I would answer any questions pertaining to the poroject, but that I wasn't going to lie to either party and I wasn't going to keep information from either party if they asked. I also explained to the guy who left the band that my professional allegences were with the people who were still paying me to work on the project, but that again, I wasn't going to lie to anyone or get any more involved than courtesy dictated. Everyone was cool with that and it all worked out perfectly fine.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

dubold
steve albini likes it

Post by dubold » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:01 am

vvv wrote:I don't know, in that he said there is "several records" in the past.

Also, we all hope to be a great success one day, and many great successes have a back story; I know a few tales myself as prob'ly do y'all.

All of that aside, whatever the finances, IMNSHO the OP shouldn't take the risk.
fair enough, although I still think "hatchet fight" applies here.

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:59 am

If you just recorded/mixed the album then it's not really your place to get involved with the distribution of monies. Other than what is due to yourself of course. If somebody wants to know how many tracks they were on, that's fine to give him or her an answer. But at that point they really need to work with the person who is managing the cash flow. And if the rest of the band gets pissed that you answered a simple question from a person who was involved in the project, that raises the question of why are they trying to keep somebody in the dark about finances.

Good luck.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:17 pm

dubold wrote:
joelpatterson wrote: When this kind of thing happens in my world, I describe it as a case of: YHCUWSKIYWMTGAW
Ah yes, the ol' yuhcoowskeeyawmitgaw.
:lol:

darney
audio school

Re: Ethics question...

Post by darney » Thu May 10, 2012 12:27 am

[quote="kakumei47"]Hey y'all,

So what would you do in this situation? I don't want to create bad blood by relaying this and not telling the other people (not sure if it would but still). Should I get in touch with the other people and let them know what's up? Stay out of it? What would you say/do?[/quote]

The "stay out of it option" is the best one, as others have pointed out. I'd simply tell the musician who left to contact the person writing the checks and have them sort it out.