what do i do - non payment, violent threats

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Mon May 07, 2012 4:55 am

We all learn lessons that we take to heart.

For instance... I'm doing a tape sync for the BBC tomorrow (them in London, me in New York state), and given a few bitter past experiences, I explained to them that as soon as they send a wire transfer to my bank, then I will upload their file.

Not uno momento sooner, gracias mon amor.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon May 07, 2012 7:18 am

Good for you, Joel! Awesome connection, and even more awesome that you are standing your ground on the $$. ("Send it to my numbered Swiss account.")

My band performed on a syndicated TV show a few years back. We were asked "as a favor," and I did it, really just to get the appearance and get a tape/DVD copy of the performance (raw footage and edited result). That was probably five years ago (maybe more), and I stopped asking, because the initially "Whatever you want!" response became "Stop pestering us; we'll get to it." And then of course, nothing...

BBC, Schmee-bee-cee; send the converted pounds sterling.

Hey, what is the project, BTW?

GJ

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Mon May 07, 2012 9:05 am

It's for a show called "The Choir" and the performers are a local quartet-- interview, then a few songs. Already had a few layers of run-around, the assistant speaking for the producer who is "out of town" ("Out of town?" In some mystical part of England where e-mail doesn't work?)

Sheeshumns, I hear you about the "whatever you want!" line-- it's like one of those cliches with a mandatory translation: "actually I'm talking out of my alimentary canal, of course I don't mean it and will forget about it, but it sounds great, don't it?"
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

Chaconne
pluggin' in mics

Post by Chaconne » Tue May 08, 2012 2:50 pm

"Don't I like music?"

Ha ha - that just sums up perfectly the attitude of pretty much anyone I have worked for. And they bank you no goodwill - no matter how many non charged hours you add to a project.

I remember someone saying - 'can I have that finished tommorow' - it was already evening - and I said sarcasticly - OK - 'i'll just stay up the whole night editing this for you...'

The stern look was pretty much - 'you dont like this job?'

Yeah I love music - do it 24/7 and live on air.

Beat Poet
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Beat Poet » Fri May 25, 2012 10:48 am

joelpatterson wrote:Already had a few layers of run-around, the assistant speaking for the producer who is "out of town" ("Out of town?" In some mystical part of England where e-mail doesn't work?)
There are some areas here where you're amazed that they're even on the electric, let alone email!

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Sat May 26, 2012 6:15 am

Sherwood Forest comes to mind?

By the way, it all ended very well, in spite of my trepidations... proving that in spite of your trepidations, things can end well, at least once.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net