RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
Never see the End Product These Days?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> People Skills
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snarl 12/8
ghost haunting audio students

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Never see the End Product These Days? Reply with quote

Brett Siler wrote:
I have a copy of the music anyway.

Pirate!

-- Christ Bearer

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.
cgarges
TOMB Moderator
TOMB Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Never see the End Product These Days? Reply with quote

I haven't noticed it getting any worse in recent years. Seems like it's always been like that. My best, most together clients always make sure I get a handful of discs. The space cadets are always gonna be the space cadets.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Playing drums with Mitch Easter
smtimecharlie
audio school graduate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Never see the End Product These Days? Reply with quote

As a musician (I'm the self-financed type that was mentioned previously), there's a certain insecurity factor here too. If a studio just said that you'd like to have a copy as a "just in case" reference for other bands or projects, I'd send one in a second. Wrap it in a compliment, not a business-y sort of statement, I bet that would work well. Someone that just recorded an album, after all, wants most of all to know that people might listen to it and will appreciate it! Very Happy
Brett Siler
resurrected

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Never see the End Product These Days? Reply with quote

Snarl 12/8 wrote:
Brett Siler wrote:
I have a copy of the music anyway.

Pirate!

HA! Is it still pirating when the only copy you have is the CD-R of the finial mixes you did?... or session files?..

My Music: http://www.brettsiler.bandcamp.com/
StudioMother Brain Sound Infrastructure
TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Never see the End Product These Days? Reply with quote

It's only piracy if they are mastered. Ha ha.
www.larry-crane.com
frans_13
gimme a little kick & snare

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Never see the End Product These Days? Reply with quote

I get finished CDs less than a few years ago...
but on the other end, I have copied unreleased CDs for fans that I was talking to who desperately wanted the songs... for example when the band has split up and wouldn't talk to each other anymore and the website is down.
Chris Graham Mastering
pluggin' in mics

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: yep Reply with quote

My experience too Larry, I'd estimate I get a copy less than 1% of the time. : (
If it's a local project, that number is maybe 2% ; (
Theo_Karon
gettin' sounds

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Never see the End Product These Days? Reply with quote

Yeah. Usually I don't really care, but typically when I end up getting extremely invested in a project in an apparent way (i.e. putting in extra hours, continue going to as many of the band's shows as I can make after the record is done, etc) this gets noticed and I end up with a copy of the record. First real bummer in that regard came about a week ago, oddly enough- I was looking at the blog of a very talented artist and one-time good friend with whom I'd spent two months playing on, sometimes co-writing, recording and mixing a record this past winter, which I ended up putting a ton of free work into because I could see how awesome it could be and I wanted it to be that awesome, only to find that the damn thing has been in print for a month!

I briefly entertained the notion of calling the artist up and saying "Hey! What about me? Where's my record?" but quickly realized there was probably no delicate way to go about doing this, so instead just shelled out 30 bucks for the damn thing on the label's mail-order site... well, I'll be glad to have a copy, at least. White vinyl!
Brian
dead but not forgotten

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Never see the End Product These Days? Reply with quote

If I take my curmudgeonly butt back to NYC, 1988 which is when I got to record and mix live for higher end stuff REGULARLY (12 bands a day), I noticed that more hollywood people were getting into the mix of record labels as artists and managers. A bad thing to be sure.
Hollywood stars sing VERY breathy, and it was a telltale sign that the act was more actor than musical artist, = short term career. Hollywood types donít give you final copies. I donít know why. They think of the music biz as a stepping stone for their acting career, if hey can just get that light to shine on them for a second, they can get a movie deal. Itís not every one of them, some go the other way, but, I saw the behind the scenes everyday high volume stuff, and it went like that most of the time.
I could see that becoming part of the zeitgeist of the industry after a while.
Iíve lost a TON of stuff, some of which is very noteworthy (I found out this year) due to this.
Sometimes I get them decades later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> People Skills All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: