Voiceover work - where to start?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:48 pm

alex matson wrote:
I'm not bringing a total stranger over to my house, and she'd be right to be cautious about that as well.
Fair enough.

I'm a pretty forward guy. What I've done when people have asked about auditioning, (or any other situation where I'm offering to go out of my way to help them), is to give them my number and leave the ball in their court. If they're not driven enough to get out of their comfort zone to make a phone call then I'm not going to chase them around.

If the two of you are going to look at each other with suspicion that the other is planning to murder you and wear your skin as a unitard, then nothing's ever going to happen.

You asked a question, I made a suggestion. It's cool if you don't want to take it.

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Post by alex matson » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:26 pm

To be sure, I appreciate it, Jim.

Winstontaneous
takin' a dinner break

Post by Winstontaneous » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:01 pm

I plan on helping a friend of mine record a voice "demo reel." She has a distinctive voice that projects emotion well, excellent diction/pronunciation, and experience reading/recording her own material as a single-take performance.

She's a screenwriter/author so she wants to feature some of her own stories. What other types of material should we include if she's interested in voiceover/spokesperson work? I've already done some research on voiceone, voice123.com etc., but am asking for specific wisdom/experience from the TapeOp community. Thanks!

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:21 pm

Commercial copy/script of short lengths showing a variety of emotions/moods (upbeat/funny, dramatic, sultry, etc.). Some very short promo/PSA-type stuff (maybe even a few station ID's, just "This is K-A-Z-Y 90.2 FM, 'Radio that makes you CRAZY'"). Perhaps a very short poem, or a dramatic scene segment for voice acting/characterization. Plus, any character voices or impressions if she has some. Something that would work as narration. Again, all brief and to the point.

GJ