Gear Geeking Column question

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

duskb
audio school

Gear Geeking Column question

Post by duskb » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:09 pm

Andy wrote in the latest issue his experience with a honeywell wireless doorbell. I"m glad he did. However, he seems to imply that the transmitter is in the same general building as the receiver. I need something that will reach about 250' and through walls and buildings. My studio is in the back lot of a residential area and I'm curious if this device will cut it, or if not, if anyone has any suggestions on a bell system for a detached studio that would work. I'd be much obliged for feedback.

Thanks!

duskb

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:47 pm

Hang a big bell on a line for people to pull... Not being funny, a studio I do a lot of work at has this setup...

jhharvest
steve albini likes it

Post by jhharvest » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:43 pm

At the TV studio we had these - it was fine through 50 meters and a couple of steel reinforced concrete walls. Another benefit was that we could have several "receivers" for one button and they could be set to silent with just a light flashing. Can't remember the brand but it was some cheap thing.

You distance is a bit long though. Check the specs?

duskb
audio school

Post by duskb » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:37 am

jhharvest wrote:At the TV studio we had these - it was fine through 50 meters and a couple of steel reinforced concrete walls. Another benefit was that we could have several "receivers" for one button and they could be set to silent with just a light flashing. Can't remember the brand but it was some cheap thing.

You distance is a bit long though. Check the specs?
Thanks, it's not the distance that worries me as much as the walls in-between. I found some 1000 range models for $50 on Amazon but apparently once line of sight is interrupted they don't work so well.

This thing is literally on the porch and needs to transmit to a bungalow out in the back behind a house.

The one you had sounds like it would work for my application but without a make/model it's anyone's guess if it will work. I'm hoping to avoid buying several only to find out that none work. Someone somewhere has the same problem I do, hence why Andy wrote about it.